Skip to main content
Topic: Can accents, fermata and tenuto be positioned up/down like a tie or slur? (Read 5447 times) previous topic - next topic

Can accents, fermata and tenuto be positioned up/down like a tie or slur?

Because of the positioning of the notes I need to place all three in non-default locations.  Is this possible?

Re: Can accents, fermata and tenuto be positioned up/down like a tie or slur?

Reply #1
G'day Anthony,
kinda...

A Fermata can be moved up and down by selecting it's anchor and <Shift-Ctrl-Up/Down Arrow>

For Accents and Tenuto, if you only need it to look right, you can set the NWCV15.ttf font as a user font.
This is done in
  • Page
  • Setup
  • Fonts (tab)
  • Select a user font E.G. User 1
  • Click Modify
  • Select NWCV15 from the list
  • Set the size to 5/4 th's of your staff size
  • Click OK

The staff size can be found on the Options tab of the |Page|Setup| dialogue

You can now place text accents <A>, Tenuto <C> and staccatto dots <N> or <c> (there's 2 dots in the font that seem to be identical, so they should both work) to your hearts content.  <x> to place text, make sure you select your user font and set the paramaters...

They should be centre justified at next note/bar with preserve width OFF.

Remember that these are text objects, they will have no effect on playback.  If you want playback to be right, then you'll need to mute the visible staff and create a hidden, sounding staff.

I notice that you have only registered today, so I don't know what experience you have of NWC OR how much you may have been lurking here in the forum so if I've said anything you don't follow, then please ask for clarification.  That said, there is a lot of information in this forum that can be found via the search option.

You will find the user font facility is a GREAT help when you wan't to make visual effects that NWC doesn't handle internally.  Check out the Scriptorium at http://nwc-scriptorium.org for all kinds of stuff.  http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html has links to useful fonts among lots of other good stuff!
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Fantastic.  Thanks Lawrie.

Reply #3
I saw you said "like a tie/slur"...If you're asking if you can flip fermatas up-side-down, no.

Reply #4
I saw you said "like a tie/slur"...If you're asking if you can flip fermatas up-side-down, no.
But an upside-down fermata can be placed as text.
I'm not at home right now so I can't check to see if Lawrie's Dings suite has it or not, but I have been using a font that does include it.

Reply #5
A fermata will flip upside down if it is placed under a  note.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #6
A fermata will flip upside down if it is placed under a  note.
only in NWC2
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Oops, forgot that NWC1 doesn't flip the Fermata...

Anthony, K.A.T. is correct, there are inverted Fermata' in Boxmarks and Boxmark2 which both look like the one supplied in NWCV15.ttf so it you need an inverted Fermata you assign one of these (Boxmark2 is a superset of Boxmarks so that is the one I'd choose) to a user font.  The upside down fermata is the <'>, "single quote" next to the <Enter> key.

If you are interested in any of my *Dings font suites (available via the scripto link I posted earlier) the font that has the same name as the suite is an extended version of Boxmark2 in the indicated style...  Thus SwingDings.ttf from the SwingDings suite is a swing/jazz style superset of Boxmark2 and is interchangeable with it.  With the proviso that if you want to go from SwingDings to Boxmark2 that you haven't used a character that doesn't exist in Boxmark2.  The same applies to MusikDingsSans and MusikDingsSerif.

Carl, you are correct for NWC2, but when I checked NWC1 (I thought it worked OK too) the fermata doesn't flip...  Guess I know which version you and I use most  ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
If you have both NWC 1 & 2 you can use NWC2's font of NWC2STDA as a user font.  Of course, the insertion of an upside down fermata will have to be as text, it won't be automatic.
Since 1998

Reply #9

I guess I haven't tried that in NWC2...I got frustrated with it in NWC1 and gave up trying to do it.