Skip to main content
Topic: More for the wish list: Updated Endings (Read 2964 times) previous topic - next topic

More for the wish list: Updated Endings

I assume this is the place to submit suggestions for the new NWC2.

When I pass out music I write using NWC, the endings (first, second, third, final, etc.) confuse people.  I have to extend the lines over all the bars in the ending and drop it down at the end.  This becomes annoying to have to use a pen to fix every printout.

So here's my suggestion:  The ending feature needs a bit of a makeover.

In normal music notation, there are two types of endings.  One is exactly like the one in NWC1, where it extends a full measure with no corner on the end.  The other extends over several measures and has a closing corner.

My thought is this:  Using the same technique seen in the triplets, beaming, and now in NWC2 beta, the hairpins, you could select several measures and add an ending above them.  This would need an anchor attached to it, so you could adjust properties like what number, etc.  The ending would stretch over each selected measure, and it would have a corner on both ends.

The old ending feature would also remain in place, as it is a different kind of ending, and I doubt anyone wants to look at a piece with an ending stretching all the way from halfway down the page to the bottom.  As far as the interface goes, you would have two buttons, one displaying an ending, and the other displaying a closed ending.

Also, is there a way we could get add a checkbox for "Final" ending?  Again, to a musician, the "D." doesn't mean a whole lot.  "Final" seems to be a neccessity that I usually end up typing in.

Okay, so if this isn't where suggestions go, can someone please get it where it should be?  Thanks! ;)

Re: More for the wish list: Updated Endings

Reply #1
G'day Bob,
this is as good a place as any to air ideas, but there is a formal "wish list" here:
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.php

While you get to submit stuff, there is no list of wishes that have been made, though there is a list of fulfilled ones somewhere...

I agree that the line drawing for n-time bars should be updated in much the way you suggest.  I'm not sure of what the best mechanism would be though.  It might be just as simple to add a paramater to a barline object that says something like "SE ends here"...

In the meantime I have a work around.  If you look at my *Dings font suites you'll find some line drawing characters that can do exactly what is needed - you simply make the Special Ending invisible, and place text accordingly.

Check out my SwingDings sample chart to get an idea:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?action=dlattach;topic=5872.0;attach=178

There are also 2 other examples attached to the same post the above link comes from that have MusikDingsSans and MusikDingsSerif versions of the example:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5872.msg38388#msg38388

If you are unfamiliar with the *Dings font suites they are available from the Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I'm having some troubles.  I'm trying to duplicate what you have in your Basic Basie examples, but I'm having troubles finding the right characters to use.  I've even got the character map open.  Here are the characters I'm copying: µµµµµ± using MusikTextEuroSerif.  However, in NWC2, it's showing up as a T shape, as if the characters are stacked on top of each other.

Edit:
While I wasn't able to figure out how to get that to work properly, I was able to use underscores and a vertical line to accomplish the same thing.  I used Times New Roman.

Reply #3
G'day Bob,
rather than MusikTextEuroSerif, just use MusikTextSerif (no Euro - that fonts mainly for additional Euro characters).

The first time bar has 2 text entries:
1)
 ²1.   ³       ³       ³       ³       ³       ³       ³

Left justified, best fit, NO preserve width for the start of the line.

2)
³       ³       ³           ´
Right Justified at next note/bar, NO preserve width for the end of the line.

If you have several bars to cover you may need some "extenders" positioned in the middle somewhere:

³       ³       ³       ³       ³       ³      
I suggest Centre Justified at next note/bar, NO preserve width.  The lines can overlap quite happily.  Make sure you use Print Preview to check your alignment, the edit windows is NOT WISIWYG.

Quick and dirty example attached:
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Perfect!  Thanks for your help in this workaround!

Now if we could just get NWC2 to do that...