Skip to main content
Topic: Chord Font (Read 9722 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord Font

Is there an easier way of notating "changes" other than using multiple fonts in successive text expressions?  It often takes three expressions to write chords with naturals and inversions requiring sub/super scripts.

Thanks and apologies if this has been previously hashed out.  Perhaps a reference to the appropriate thread?

Omar

Re: Chord Font

Reply #2
G'day Omar,
I can confirm what NoteWorthy Online said.

In more detail, I have released three font suites:

SwingDings, MusikDingsSans and MusikDingsSerif.

Using SwingDings as an example the suite contains:
  • NWC2SwingDings.ttf = An alternative NWC2 system font
  • SwingDings.ttf = A musical symbol font that includes rehearsal marks - based on Boxmark2 by Barry Graham and Marsu
  • SwingText.ttf = A text font with line drawing characters and some musical symbols
  • SwingTextEuro.ttf = A text font with additional accented characters as well as line drawing characters and some musical symbols
  • SwingChord.ttf = A text font specifically designed for text chord construction
  • NWCV15.ttf = a replacement NWC1 system font

All the fonts in each suite match each other for character style.  Thus SwingDings is a Jazz/Swing style font that looks handwritten, MusikDingsSans is based on a Sans Serif font and MusikDingsSerif is, of course, based on a Serif font.  The individual ttf file names include the suite name so aside from the NWC1 replacement font they can all co-exist.  NWC2 has the ability to select which system font you want to use on a per chart basis (A very big thankyou to Noteworthy for this)

All are available via the Scripto - http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html.  Each suite also contains a PDF with instructions, a comprehensive set of character to extended ASCII tables and the SwingDings suite contains an NWC2 "Big Band" template.

The attachments are example charts that use each suite and include some chords.  These charts were produced from older versions and the "minor" glyph is somewhat different now.  There are many more chord construction glyphs than shown in the charts.  Please note that these charts have NO post processing, what you see is straight from NWC2 Print Preview.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.