Skip to main content
Topic: Converting WMA/WAV/MP3 to NWC/MIDI (Read 6866 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting WMA/WAV/MP3 to NWC/MIDI

I have some songs on a CD that I have ripped via Windows Media Player to my Hard Drive. I was wondering is there a way to convert these into A MIDI file so I can import them to Noteworthy Composer and read them as sheet music?

Re: Converting WMA/WAV/MP3 to NWC/MIDI

Reply #1
Short answer:  No.

Last I heard there is software that will convert simple melodies into either midi or notation software.  

Reply #2
... and that's because converting sound to notes, or MP3 to Midi, is much like unscrambling an egg.
Progress is being made, but it seems to be extremely difficult.
The short answer remains: No.

Reply #3
I think the problem with the programs that convert from wav to midi is that they can't distinguish different elements of a chord, so if the song has more than one note playing at any given time, it can't be interpreted.  Another confusing issue would be deciding which note belonged to each instrument or voice in the recording.  So apparently these programs exist but can't handle anything except fairly simple, "clean" recordings.

If you want to transcribe a recording by ear, there is software to help.  It allows you to playback the wav file at slower (or faster) speeds without changing pitch, and to loop the music so you can play a few bars over and over again until you're ready to try the next few bars.

"Amazing Slowdowner" from Roni Music http://www.ronimusic.com/ is one such program.

Reply #4
damn that kinda sux....i was curious as i have seen websites with converters for videos and such and i was just wondering if there was something similar for music...unfortunately i cant transcribe music by ear into score...i'm not that good lol - i wish i was T_T

Reply #5
damn that kinda sux....i was curious as i have seen websites with converters for videos and such and i was just wondering if there was something similar for music...
The "similar" video converter would be one that looks at a scene and then converts it to: All of a sudden, the blue '68 Ford swerves into the fruit stand, scattering its contents all over the sidewalk.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
I think it will be a sad day when somthing like this is invented because there will be
nothing to keep those old "ear muscles " in trim.

Reply #7
Concerning slowing down playback to aid transcription to staff notation as an alternative to converting WAV to MIDI:  If you have the free program Audacity you already have the facility to slow down the playback without changing the pitch.   There is no need to buy a special program for this.   It is also possible to repeat phrases, updating the start as the transcription progresses.

Maurice

Reply #8
The software suggested by David can work with wav, wma, ogg, flac, mp3 and mp4 files not merely wav.
It will also work using a CD as direct input - slowing down, pitch shifting, looping as required in real time.