Skip to main content
Topic: Yet Another Question About Converting NWC to WAV or MP3 (Read 6991 times) previous topic - next topic

Yet Another Question About Converting NWC to WAV or MP3

I have been able to save my NWC files as WAV or MP3 using the various suggestions from the message board (WavePad, Creative WaveStudio, etc.)  However, that is where my success ends.  The resulting sound makes it seem like it is too loud for the speakers - very vibrate-y.  (If I can invent a word.)  I am not at all savvy when it comes to sound mixing or equalizing or whatever else I might need to adjust.  I am using the "what you hear" variety of recording.  It's a very basic piano composition, so there's not a lot of fancy stuff going on.  I am using the Akai-SteinwayIII SoundFont.  It sounds great within Noteworthy.  I just can't get that translated out.

Ideas, suggestions?  Anyone want to convert my files for me? <grin>

Re: Yet Another Question About Converting NWC to WAV or MP3

Reply #1
Do you have a wave editor.
There is one that comes with Nero CD burning software.
Have a search for FREE wave editor on Google you will probably find several.
Pick one with a normalize function.
Wavepad or Audacity or the older Cool Edit are good options.

Reply #2
By "too loud", do you mean they sound distorted, or just louder than what you hear when you play it in NWC. 

If the former, then you probably have your recording level set too high and you are getting "digital thwack".  Unlike pegging the meters in an analog recording, where you just get a rougher, overdriven sound, running the digital recording to the red line results in a scratchy, crackly sound.  You can lower the recording level in the mixer applet (or sometimes from within your recording program).

If the latter, then just remember that the settings for audio output and MIDI output are two different things.  You have to adjust your mixer applet accordingly to equalize the sounds.

As was suggested, using one of the free programs should do it for you.  Make sure you get a VU meter (or something similar), so that you can see if the result will peg out in the red area.  Keeping it a couple db below the red line (0 db) will make sure you don't get the scratchiness.

Hope this helps.
John

Reply #3
Wavepad or Audacity or the older Cool Edit are good options.
hang on... Is Cool Edit free now, or do I misread you? Cool Edit is indeed a good choice; it has served me well. I've got quite an old version, and wonder if it will survive the transition (if ever) to Vista.
I use Cool Edit to record Radio 4 transmissions.

Reply #4
A-ha!  I found it!  I did have my recording level set too high.  I adjusted the "What U Hear" setting in the Mixer application to 35%.  This seems to work for all of my current songs.  When I become rich and famous, you can say you helped me get started.  :)

Thanks!

Reply #5
Hi, Rob -

Well, Cool Edit was bought out by Adobe a few years ago, and if by free you mean $349 list price, then yes, I guess it's free.  It's now called Adobe Audition.

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

:)

John

Reply #6
The old Cool Edit (Cool Edit 96) was free with limited processes per session but you can restart and select other processes in the next session.

Reply #7
The "RipVinyl" program which I use has a simple therrmometer type level,indicator which is very easy to use to set the recording levels; green is Ok, yellow might be distorted, red is too much.

Tony

Reply #8
Hi Narret,
Try all the above suggestions but if you still picking up problems why not send the
 midi file as an attachment to this forum .I am sure many of the guys will be able to
help you out by downloading your midi file and converting to the formatting of your
choice ,thats if you dont have any copyright reservations.I certainly would be willing to.