Skip to main content
Topic: Why can't I hear any sound? (Read 5405 times) previous topic - next topic

Why can't I hear any sound?

When I download NWC software, after some time, I can't hear any sound while playing the songs!
*My computer speaker has no problem

Re: Why can't I hear any sound?

Reply #1
A little more information would go a long way...

Couple of tests perhaps...

If you play a MIDI do you have the same problem?

What about a WMF?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
A little more information would go a long way...

Couple of tests perhaps...

If you play a MIDI do you have the same problem?

What about a WMF?
All yep. Although I use other NoteWorthy software, it doesn't have any sound.

Reply #3
All yep. Although I use other NoteWorthy software, it doesn't have any sound.

OK, so if you have the same problem with MIDIs and WMF files, then the problem lies outside of Noteworthy.  You need to look at your sound card and its drivers.

What sound card do you have?  And are the drivers up to date?  Check the version numbers with current drivers on the manufacturers web site.

Also possible, but less likely, what version of Windows are you running, how much RAM, how much free disk space and is your temp directory full of old temp files?

Umm, just in case I've gone off on a wrong tangent here, can you hear ANY sound from NWC at all.  From your original post I understood that you get sound at the start then it disappears partway through playing...

If you have no sound at all, then check the MIDI level in your volume control.  Latest versions of M$ media player seem to have a bad habit of muting or lowering the volume of the MIDI channel when exiting.

Also make sure that the MIDI device selected in NWC (|Tools|Options|Midi Tab - "Devices used by play back:" actually exists.  There should be at least one entry in that list, and preferably no more unless you understand exactly what's going on, and that entry should work.

For testing purposes, you could try the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synthesizer" if you're using XP (and I think some updates of '98).  Another one you could try is the "Microsoft MIDI Mapper".  This device is a logical one that maps to a physical/software device via controls in the control panel.

Reply #4
I mean playing the song in NWC...

Reply #5
I mean playing the song in NWC...

I understand that, but your first message:
When I download NWC software, after some time, I can't hear any sound while playing the songs!
*My computer speaker has no problem

leaves me in some confusion as to what is actually happening - Are you getting ANY sound from NWC or not?

If not, then my last message has some clues:
Umm, just in case I've gone off on a wrong tangent here, can you hear ANY sound from NWC at all.  From your original post I understood that you get sound at the start then it disappears partway through playing...

If you have no sound at all, then check the MIDI level in your volume control.  Latest versions of M$ media player seem to have a bad habit of muting or lowering the volume of the MIDI channel when exiting.

Also make sure that the MIDI device selected in NWC (|Tools|Options|Midi Tab - "Devices used by play back:" actually exists.  There should be at least one entry in that list, and preferably no more unless you understand exactly what's going on, and that entry should work.

For testing purposes, you could try the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synthesizer" if you're using XP (and I think some updates of '98).  Another one you could try is the "Microsoft MIDI Mapper".  This device is a logical one that maps to a physical/software device via controls in the control panel.

Reply #6
I found another strange thing:When I open WindowsMediaPlayer playing a song, NWC can also play songs!Very amazing...

Some time=a few days

Reply #7
OK, now we're on the same page...

Visit this topic: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5927.0

I'm sure you're running into this problem...

It is a media player artifact

Reply #9
1.Have you selected the correct midi device?

2.Check volume controles not muted bottem left of your screen double click
   on on little speaker to access controles

Reply #10
Try Tools - Options - MIDI - Port Usage "When Playing". Sometimes gets it going.