Skip to main content
Topic: BAK File (Read 2763 times) previous topic - next topic

BAK File

Hello - I'd like to ask for assistance.
I recently used a contact management software called ACT!. Because of problems I had with the application I've switched to another program from Intuit [Customer Manager]. I am attempting to import my database from ACT! into the new program, but they are not compatible. The new software does import from Excel, so I am attempting to open the ACT! backup file. It is a BAK file.

Can anyone tell me [in simple terms please] how to open this file and covert it to an Excel file? I don't have ACT! installed any longer but I could re-install if necessary. However, because of problems with ACT!, it will not open the database and Sage [the maker of ACT!] wants $50 for 10 minutes for customer assistance - to start. After spending almost $200 for the program 4 months ago, I have no intention in giving Sage another dime of my money.

Thank you for the help.

Pitt

Re: BAK File

Reply #1
Just because it is a BAK file does not mean that it can e imported to Excel. It would just depend on the format of the original creating program.

For example, NoteWorthy Composer creates .bak files but you can't load them into Excel, only into NoteWorthy Composer or viewer.

If the original program saved it's files in a format that Excel understands (.xls .txt .db .csv .wk1 etc) then you should just be able to rename the .bak to the original name then load it into Excel.

But why are you asking your questions in a NoteWorthy forum ?

Rich.

Reply #2
I thought since NoteWorthy uses .bak files someone may have a suggestion. I thank you for the response.

Reply #3
Richard is writing about importing into Excel.  I'd take it one step back and see if you can export the file from ACTI into one of those formats.

If push comes to shove, save it just as plain text file.  You should be able to import that into Excel and if each record is a fixed length, then Excek should be able to sense/create the appropriate columns during the import process to make your data fit a worksheet.