Skip to main content
Topic: Very small problem with grace notes (Read 8933 times) previous topic - next topic

Very small problem with grace notes

A very small problem - but I haven't found a way round it and it doesn't happen in 1.75.

I am unable to slur grace notes across a bar line. The slur stops dead at the bar line and no matter what you do, you cannot encourage it to go beyond.

Rich.

Re: Very small problem with grace notes

Reply #1
Aren't grace notes supposed to be to the right of the bar line, even if the main note is the first note of the bar?
All of the music that I have at hand has grace notes to the right of the bar line.

Reply #2
Take Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (The opening measures)
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas

Reply #3
In any case, it is a bug. A grace note before a bar is a clear indication that it takes its time from the preceeding note. It is common enough in existing NWC songs that it should be fixed ASAP.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Aren't grace notes supposed to be to the right of the bar line, even if the main note is the first note of the bar?
All of the music that I have at hand has grace notes to the right of the bar line.

Well the fact is that there are instances where grace note sequences carry on over the bar line. NWC version 1 supports this and so for backwards compatibility, it should be allowed.

The difficulty is also, that with the current functionality, we are using what we call grace notes for :
appogiacatura, acciacatura, cue notes, cadenzas, ad liberandums (liberanda ?), spread chords, small notes, trills and assorted musical decorations and probably more that I haven't remembered.
Rich.

Reply #5
Just adding my voice to
we are using what we call grace notes for :
appogiacatura, acciacatura, cue notes, cadenzas, ad liberandums (liberanda ?), spread chords, small notes, trills and assorted musical decorations and probably more that I haven't remembered.

I've been asking for a grace note with a dash across the stem - the acciacatura, or perhaps assiacature? for a long, long time.  I think we just need to keep nagging Eric.

Reply #6
I am unable to slur grace notes across a bar line. The slur stops dead at the bar line and no matter what you do, you cannot encourage it to go beyond.
This problem still persists.

Reply #7
It can be faked with layers and spacers. But that doesn't help the legacy files.

Reply #8
It can be faked with layers and spacers. But that doesn't help the legacy files.

To mis-quote something else - "A layer with missing barlines is like a box of chocolates - You never know what you're gonna get.

In other words, the missing barlines often cause quite unexpected results. I try to not have them except in the most extreme of cases such as a cross barline beam.  Even then ........
Rich.

Reply #9
It can be faked with layers and spacers.
Your attachment falls short of faking it. Eventually, it needs to go into a song with system breaks and get printed.

Reply #10
Agreed, Rich. But this seems to be one of those times, if you happen to need this notation (I confess that I probably never would).

Rick, sorry you don't seem to get it. In my experience, when you run into a problem that has a solution that may look different depending on what part of the line you are on in the printout, you go ahead and put it in and then adjust as needed if it happens to fall in the wrong place when everything else is complete. Of course, if you're a perfectionist who insists that every solution must always look right whenever it is seen, no matter what else is happening in the rest of the score, then a lot of things are going to seem inadequate.

Reply #11
Agreed, Rich. But this seems to be one of those times, if you happen to need this notation (I confess that I probably never would).

But the annoying thing is that this was back in 2007 and I haven't got a clue what it was. I was obviously doing a transcription but I can't remember it. I don't think I would ever need this again, but you never know. The strange thing is that a slur tie can cross the great divide !!!

Rich.

Reply #13
A very small problem - but I haven't found a way round it and it doesn't happen in 1.75.

In 2.51, grace slurs will be allowed to pass through a bar line to meet a target note.

Note that in version 1, there is only a single slur type, so grace notes could start a slur that spanned across many non-grace notes. This isn't possible in version 2, as grace notes have their own slur system. The version 1 and 2 slur systems are not compatible.

Reply #14
In 2.51, grace slurs will be allowed to pass through a bar line to meet a target note.
Thanks so much. After Bill's admonishment, I spent several hours on a kluge for this. While I found a tolerable one, native support should be much better.