Skip to main content
Topic: How do you palm mute guitar? (Read 6604 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you palm mute guitar?

I need to know a way how to palm mute guitar notes =p.

Re: How do you palm mute guitar?

Reply #1
G'day Z-U,
not being a guitarist I'm only guessing, but I would think that you might be able to experiment with expression MPC's...

I'm bit short on time at the moment, but if you insert an MPC (put the cursor just before the note (chord) to be "muted" and press <L>, this will open the MPC dialogue.

• Select "Expression" in the "Controller" list box
  • Choose an appropriate time resolution (experiment)
  • Choose a style (probably "Absolute")
  • I'd guess the sweep resolution default of 1 will probably be OK - again, experiment
  • Set the initial value to 127
  • Set the next offset to the "time" when you want the mute to occur and set the value to a much lower figure - perhaps 10 - experiment some more ;)   - don't forget to "tick" the check box
  • Place another Expression MPC before the next note/chord and set its initial value to 127 to restore everything.

Just my guess - it may not be suitable and will probably take a deal of experimentation
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I think it would help if Eric changed this on the entry screen:

Tips & Tricks
Tips and tricks from other users

To
Tips & Tricks
Tips and tricks from other users  - please do not post questions here - use the ...
(whatever the two titles are for the Noteworthy Composer and NWC2 forums).

Reply #3
I assume you mean how to achieve this effect in NWC, not the technique of palm-muting an actual guitar.  Simply choose as the Instrument: Mute Guitar.  If you want to get strummed chords, muted or not, I wrote a set of chords that has a staff meant to be hidden and sounding with a realistic strum and a staff meant to be displayed and muted that shows the chord as it would be notated.  This is written for NWC1 but could probably be imported into NWC2.  Go to: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html and scroll almost halfway down the page to GuitarStrum.zip.  </shameless self-promotion>  :)

Reply #4
oh... sorry, my bad, didnt mean to post in the wrong area... guess i just wasnt paying attention. sorry =\.

Reply #5
So, Z-U, did you mean how to palm mute an actual guitar instead of how to make NWC sound like a muted guitar?  If so, (not to restate the obvious) rest the heel of the right hand flat on the strings just to the left of the bridge and pick or strum away!