Skip to main content
Topic: newbie problem (Read 15264 times) previous topic - next topic

newbie problem

hi, i just got NWC, but i have some problems to start with it. in order to hear any sound, i had to go to tools - options - midi, and then i should choose the device that is used for playback. then i should be able to hear sound; i tried it with every device, but it wont work :s i can hear midi files with media player; and i tried to hear a .midi file and a .NWC file in NWC, but it stays silent, what could it be, plz help, ty

~ gRaViJa

Re: newbie problem

Reply #1
Well, it could be

A)The tracks are muted
B)You have instruments set to hacky channels. This always happens to me.
C)In the Windows Volume Control, you don't have your soundcard turned up/on. This started hapening to me recently.
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas

Reply #2
ok, can you tell me how i can check on those thing? thx :)

edit: omg, i tried again and it worked (with windows midi mapper) i tried some stuff everything works fine. then i close NWC i listen to a midi on media player, i open NWC again, and now it doesnt work aagin, and i cant find why
 :(

another edit: OMG, wtf :s, now i found this out: when a midi-song is playing on media player, i have sound on NWC, from teh second i pause or exit the midi onmedia player, i don't have sound anymore, tried everything, i hope for an answer soon, it almost got me crazy lol

Reply #3
In your "System tray" (where the clock is) you should have a volume control icon.

With media player UNloaded, double click the volume control icon (if it's not there you can click |Start|Run|sndvol32|OK|.  You will see the mixer open up.  Make sure the MIDI and master volumes are not turned right down OR muted.

If you volume control isn't in the system tray, you can enable it from control panel...

Recent updates to media player seem to be shutting everything up when it exits...  :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Have tried all the midi devices available on the left side of the NWC midi options
the one transfered to the right top is the active one .After writing in NWC which is
midi I  don't understand how Windows Media comes into the equation unless those
midi files have been tranfered to some audio converter and only then imported as an
audio or wave file into Windows Media which doesn't read midi .If I may read deeper
into your enquiry, in that you might want to burn a cd using NWC there's a useful
thread under tips and tricks on this site.

Reply #5
Windows Media [...] doesn't read midi
It sure does. Drag any midi file and drop it on to any Windows Media Player.
This works for Win 3.1's mplayer right up through XP's Media Player 11.

My experience is that when Media Player 6.4 is playing a midi file, moving the volume slider also moves the midi volume slider (sndvol32), but moving the midi slider does not move MP's slider. Sometimes the midi volume is restored on exit, sometimes not. Can't speak for VISTA.

Media Player 9, does the same, except that if you pause the midi, the volume is set to zero! If you exit, it remains at zero.

Media Player 10 (on XP) was also altering the midi volume.

Media Player 11 seems to be better behaved. (someone must have complained) is just as bad.

The old media players (mplayer, mplay32), do not alter volume on play, pause, stop or exit.
Their menu option for volume simply launches yet another instance of sndvol32, which is quite stupid.

All in all, I'm associating midi files with mplay32. I'll write some scripts to deal with multiple instances.

BTW, if using XP, Running this:
Code: [Select · Download]
control mmsys.cpl,,2
puts most of what you need for midi, a click or two away.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Woops Rick,
There is no hole available for me to crawl into .Thats an eye opener for me,and
Ill take twenty push ups as well.

Reply #7
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped!
Very good, I learn a few tricks today - thanks Rick.
And Timoteus, how do you look in a push up bra?

Reply #8
whoa, thx pardy, now it works :) finnaly i can start using this program:)