Skip to main content
Topic: Out of tune/off-key (Read 4395 times) previous topic - next topic

Out of tune/off-key

I have a piece of music which sounds terrible! I've checked all the staffs have the same key, are playing back the same sound, but a more off-key piece of music would be hard to find. Any ideas what could be causing it?

Re: Out of tune/off-key

Reply #1
Check the transpositions of the staffs.  Staff properties/Instrument/Transposition.

Also, very close intervals (1/2 tone apart) sound pretty bad on my system.  Like a chainsaw.

Reply #2
This is unlikely - but in addition to the things David suggested to check also check that you haven't :
1. Attempted to do a mpc pitch bend without resetting the status afterwards.
2. That you don't have, on different staves, different instruments with the same midi channel.

Can't think of other possibilities at the moment - but failing all these tests, you could send the piece to one of us to se if anything else springs to mind. (Or attach it here)
Rich.

Reply #3
If you have transposed a staff, but not changed the MIDI in StaffProperties F2 it will still playback the untransposed pitch. Does this help?

Reply #4
Since all the conventional answers have already been said, I'm going to be extremely radical. In a rare situation, your sound card could be misfunctioning.
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas

Reply #5
Many thanks to everyone. One staff had a different transposition setting to the others - that seems to have solved the problem.

Reply #6
David wins   - lol
Rich.

Reply #7
The problem sounded so familiar.  If we're lucky, we learn from our mistakes. 

And I've learned a heck of a lot, which means . . .

Reply #8
There might be some comfort in this as well "Don't judge those who try and fail ,judge
those who fail to try" unknown

Reply #9
Also judge those who try to fail!
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas