Skip to main content
Topic: Dotted eight notes not represented correctly  (Read 5339 times) previous topic - next topic

Dotted eight notes not represented correctly

As you can see in the attached example, the dotted eight notes are not represented the same wau stem up and stem down.  Some times they are represented as dubble dotted notes, but they are not!
When I export the file to version 1.75 the problem is solved.
Can this be corrected?

Re: Dotted eight notes not represented correctly

Reply #2
Perhaps we need an additional control on note properties for when layering is used:
"Increase augmentation dot spacing" or perhaps "Do not show augmentation dot(s)"

This would hopefully allow for dots to either be aligned correctly when dotted notes are layered when one has stem up and the other doesn't (this would normally be the case I think) OR the non printed one would not be able to create confusion.

This is becoming a real problem!

Eric, I think you need to address this sooner rather than later.  Another alternative to the above, perhaps a programatic detection of when staves are layered and a repositioning of the augmentation dot to suit?

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
"Do not show augmentation dot(s)"
This would have uses beyond this problem. When I have to go into 12/8 to simulate triplets and sextuplets, hiding the dots would save playback staves.

As for the other ideas, they would just become another workaround that would have to be removed when the problems are finally fixed. Given enough staves, I can always put the dots in the right place. Finding the problems in the printed score is tedious.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
G'day Rick,
agreed, the "Do not show augmentation dots" was my preferred thought.

Reply #5
For the next release (beta 2.14), dot placements will be more like NWC1. Since stems are significantly shorter in NWC2, the down sides to this change are:

• collisions between the dot and up stem 16th or smaller unbeamed notes
  • loss of alternate lower voice dot placement when layering

Reply #6
G'day Eric,
  • collisions between the dot and up stem 16th or smaller unbeamed notes
  • loss of alternate lower voice dot placement when layering

The first can be overcome by adjusting stem length if necessary, but what exactly does the second mean?

Reply #7
When a lower voice note is positioned on a staff line, the dot is supposed to position below the line. In Beta 2.14, it is going to appear above the staff line, just as it always has in NWC1 and pre-Beta 2.* NWC2 releases.

Reply #8
Beta 2.14 is available now.

Reply #9
Thank you all for correcting the program so quickly!
Gilbert