Skip to main content
Topic: Converting NWC to MP3 or WMP (Read 7558 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting NWC to MP3 or WMP

I searched the hints and tips area and found this discussion
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5687.0;prev_next=prev#new

Following the instructions I downloaded Wave Pad (please note downloading anything is at the extremes of my technical limits!).

The instructions for "Click New File" are fine......then "Click the Red record Button" ......default sound in, is on the right, not the left of the window which appeared. But the instructions..."In the second box, select Stereo Mixer".....I can't find that. There's an Input option with Windows Record Mixer; CD Player; microphone; aux; line in; phone; mono out; or wave out mix. The default is Windows Record Mixer, so leaving that I continued with the instructions, but nothing happens.

Can someone assist please?

Re: Converting NWC to MP3 or WMP

Reply #1
I too am hopeless at intricate solutions. I use a little program called RipVinyl. which is quite inexpensive, and I find it very easy to use. It produces a copy, for me, in .wav form, which can be played by ordinary CD players  Have a look at www.ripvinyl.com  T
Tony

Reply #2
The instructions for "Click New File" are fine......then "Click the Red record Button" ......default sound in, is on the right, not the left of the window which appeared.

Indeed - sorry - it is the right hand you need.  Should look something like the picture attached.

Rich.

Reply #3
Simpest way is to save file as .mid, then download JetAudio Freeware and install. Does a direct conversion to .wav etc. Sound might be slightly different but for practice purposes and making CDs or mp3s OK.

Reply #4
G'day linlin,
the reality is there are many tools you can use and each has it's advantages.

For me, the easiest one is Audacity.

Download (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows) and install it - easy, just follow the prompts and accept the defaults.

To record, in the top right you'll se a drop down box with a number of options to choose from.

The 2 appropriate ones as far as NWC are concerned are "What U Hear" or MIDI synth.

Get NWC ready, switch to Audacity, Click the record button (Red dot in the middle), <Alt-Tab> back to NWC and click play.

When it's done, click the stop button (dark square) in Audacity and then save.  Once saved you can edit to your hearts content (remove silences at start and end for example, or you may want to amplify it etc.  Lotsa tools available) and then finally export as wav, mp3 or ogg vorbis.

I realise it is a 2 step process rather than a single direct export, but it _is_ easy.

Other advantages of Audacity...  Too many to mention, but one that I use a bit is to record my LP's, edit out the surface noise etc., and export as wav.  From there I use my burner software to create CD's and thus I can preserve my vinyl...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Lawrie,
 The reason why I recommended Ripvinyl is because it is much more limited than Audacity. For beginners this is a useful feature.  There is very little in RipVinyl which you can select or alter and therefore less chance of a making a mistake!  It is for that reason that I use it for simple conversion tasks. It is not free but very inexpensive.- $10.95 or £5.95 in UK

Tony

Reply #6
G'day Tony,
I think I'll have a closer look at Ripvinyl...  You are probably correct about it being easier than many other products out there.

Just one thing though - linlin was asking about mp3 or wmp, not wav - If Ripvinyl only outputs wav files then a conversion would still be necessary...

Reply #7
Lawrie,

I appreciate the point about output in .wav form. it may be important. However, I believe that it is possible to change the output format with Ripvinyl; perhaps a more expert  view than mine could check this..
Tony

Reply #8
Lawrie,

from the RipVinyl Help pages:-      

How can I record to MP3 format?
If you have an codec installed on your system that allows you to record in MP3 format you can simply select the desired MP3 format on the options tab. Windows 95 and 98 came with a codec that can encode up to 22,050 Hz, which you can use. Microsoft stopped shipping the encoding codec with later versions of Windows.

There are other freely available codecs installed with windows, and more will be generally available soon. Frauhnofer control the license for MP3, and require a minimum of payment of $15,000 a year to distibute code using their codecs. For this reason, we do not supply an MP3 codec, as it makes our entire product unviable. Bear in mind that all MP3 codecs are required to pay this fee to cover patent royalties.

We have tested with the Codec provided by Cyberlink, which retails for $9.95 at the time of publishing this. You can find out more or buy a copy from CyberLink by clicking the link for MP3 PowerEncoder.

If you install a third party codec, bear in mind that it must be an ACM codec. These can sometimes be installed by right clicking a .inf file that comes in the distribution. Simply copying a DLL file to the RIP Vinyl directory does not work. If you do install a new MP3 codec we recommend that you move it to the top of the priority list in the audio codecs section of the sound/multimedia portion of the control panel for best results.

What other formats can I use?
RIP Vinyl uses the Microsoft Audio Compression Manager (MSACM) to encode files. A selection of encodings are available with the operating systems. As the ACM interface is public, other drivers for new formats will become available. As a result, RIP Vinyl is ready for any new formats that conform to this interface. RIP Vinyl limits the maximum frequency to 44,100 Hz, as that is the frequency at which data is recorded, and there is no point in synthesizing samples.

A new open-source format named Ogg may soon be available. You may be interested in checking out http://www.riphelp.com which will have links to this driver in future, but doesn't at the moment.

Also, we have tested with the LAME v3.95 Win ACM codec which you can find out more about by searching on google or clicking the link above.

Tony

Reply #9
G'day Tony,
thanks for the update.  I'm still to look at Ripvinyl - just come back from a mates where we've been playing with sledge hammers 'n things - It's fun to just destroy stuff sometimes - had to break up his old driveway :)

Reply #10
Thank you all very much. I've now managed to convert successfully using Wavepad and am feeling pretty good that I'm finally getting to grips with all this technical stuff! (Tho with help...!)

Reply #11
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh   Way to go.

Congratulations
Rich.