Skip to main content
Topic: possible bug (Read 3921 times) previous topic - next topic

possible bug

working with the treble clef I entered a dotted 1/8 note on "b" I then inserted quarter note on "a" as a chord member, when i did so the dot for the 1/8 note was showing  on the quarter note as a dotted quarter
Thanks rik

Re: possible bug

Reply #1
I can't seem to replicate this, Rikbel.  The dot appears a little further away from the 8th notehead, but still clearly at the horizontal position of the 8th, not the quarter.  I think the horizontal shift is because the notehead moved left on the chording, since it had to be stem up while the quarter is stem down.

Can you include either a screen shot attachment, the NWC2 file itself, or a clip of the bars up to the end of the one you're having a problem with, please?

Reply #2
The vertical position of the dot keeps the dot with the 8th note.  It could be an annoyance.

See the attached file.

Reply #3
G'day Kahman,
it does look "correct" to me, as far as NWC1 goes.

NWC2 displays it very slightly differently but it is still pretty close...

I have no objection to the way it is displayed...  Normal practice is for all augmentation dots to be vertically aligned and it needs to be in its present location for that to occur should another note in the chord be dotted.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Dotted Whole notes are rare, but this is a bug. The augmentation dots must align vertically.
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Whole,Dotted|Pos2:-1
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Whole,Dotted|Pos2:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Also, the spacing between the notes forming the 2nd interval is less than ideal,
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
While it's not play-functional, for printing, the two dots could be vertically aligned with a text period placed above the dot on the half.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:"     ."|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:2|Placement:BestFitForward
|Chord|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Whole|Pos2:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Certainly not the right long-term solution, but a printing work-around until the bug is fixed.

Reply #6
This is the one that I really hate -

|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:-4o,-3o|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:0|Visibility:Default

I think that the dots would be much better placed as if you moved the chord down by one.
In other words the dots for the above should be in the same places as for this:

|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:-5o,-4o|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:0|Visibility:Default

Ok so you move the chord down but the dots don't move - but that's ok in my book, it would look / print much better. In fact in Rick's whole note examples, although the dots are not aligned, this is what happens in that case.

Just my 2 penny / cents worth.
Rich.

Reply #7
This is the one that I really hate -

Yeah, Eric had a go at fixing that and for the most part it was OK, just lost the plot when the chord started getting stacked a bit too high...  Also there were problems when layering - the dots could overlap...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.