Skip to main content
Topic: Fantasia Moonlight Sample (Read 3756 times) previous topic - next topic

Fantasia Moonlight Sample

Fantasia Moonlight sample included in NoteWorthy
Well, it took me a while to realize that there were two extra staffs in that sample thats doing all the work. I then muting those two extra staffs(the hidden ones). And it wouldn't play anything even though the two Standard ones weren't muted. I looked around and I couldn't find anything thats muting those staffs. So my question is: What is muting those staffs?

Re: Fantasia Moonlight Sample

Reply #1
G'day Metroid,
I dunno what's going on, in the sample included with my copy the 2 visible staves are in fact muted...

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong spot?

Easy way to tell:
Press <r> for Score Review - there is a column marked "Mute"...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
By default, the two visible staves in the Moonlight sample are muted from Staff, Mute Staff.

Reply #3
Yes, but when I mute the two hidden staffs and unmute the visible staffs I still can't hear the visible staffs.

Reply #4
See if any of the notes themselves have been muted.  Highlight any note, then press Control and E to check note properties.  If it's muted, then highlight all the notes on the staff, activate check note properties, and turn off the mute box.

Next, check to see if your sound card is turned on.  If you're using NWC2, there should be a speaker icon which opens the Windows sound controls - look for anything muted and turn it back on. 

Otherwise go to  Tools/Options/Midi and make sure you have something in the right hand window "Devices used by playback."  If you have none in the right, but some in the left, just highlight one and press the arrow thingy that will put it in the right box.

Reply #5
I checked the notes and they aren't muted. I can hear the hidden ones fine. My question is how is NoteWorthy muting the visible staffs?

There is no problem with my sound card or sound preferences(unless other people can here the visible ones).
I am just wondering how to hear the visible staffs. It says the staff is unmuted, the notes are unmuted. And I don't see any midi tags in the visible staffs.

Reply #6
G'day Metroid,
Yes, but when I mute the two hidden staffs and unmute the visible staffs I still can't hear the visible staffs.

Yup - you're quite correct...  If you look at the MIDI properties of the two visible staves, they're using the "second" playback device, which will be unavailable for most of us.  You can either set it for your existing playback device or add a second synth to your config.  For simplicities sake I'd probably change the staff MIDI properties to the first playback device.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
AHHH, I see why those two staffs aren't playing. Right click staff > Staff properties > Play back device: Unavailable. I changed it to Microsoft Midi Mapper and it unmuted.

Ok, I see, I was just curious. Wow it sounds way differen't then the hidden staffs.