Skip to main content
Topic: Rehearsal numbers (Read 4179 times) previous topic - next topic

Rehearsal numbers

Can NW be told to put rehearsal numbers at the beginning of a bar? Using text, one can put a number over a bar line by placing it before the barline, but if there's an automatically inserted new line at that point, the number appears after the barline at the end of the preceding staff. If I put the text after the barline (but before the clef), it appears on top of the next note, which conflicts with fingering, phrasing etc. The only way seems to be to give the text its own width, which isn't ideal but seems the best available. Or is there a trick?

Re: Rehearsal numbers

Reply #1
Yes.  To do it go to File/Page Setup/Options and there will be an option for "Measure Numbers".  These will only appear at the beginning of a line.

Reply #2
Try this:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:n1
|Bar|Style:Double
|Text|Text:"A"|Font:User3|Pos:13|Justify:Right|Placement:AsStaffSignature
|Text|Text:"Fm"|Font:PageText|Pos:9
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:5
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Userfont3 is Boxmark2 in this instance, but there are other fonts available on the scriptorium that also have boxes around letters.

Here I'm using rehearsal letters, but the font also has numbers with lines above and below them. 

Reply #3
Kahman - thanks, but it's rehearsal numbers, not bar numbers that I want.

David - thanks. I'll try it out. Seems a bit complicated for what should be a fairly simple activity. Looks to me like a bit of a buglet in NW that puts text beyond the end of the printed line.

Peter

Reply #4
text beyond the end of the printed line
If you're referring to the composer info, yes, it would be handy to be able to control the positioning.  It isn't a problem with the rehearsal letters, though, once you figure it out.  You just place the rehearsal letter at the beginning of a line, rather than the end.  That's what you would do when handwriting anyway, right?

Reply #5
If you want to force a line-break in NWC2, use:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Bar|SysBreak:Y
Put the Rehearsal Number right after it, and a note before it like so:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Bar|SysBreak:Y
|Text|Text:"A"|Font:User2|Pos:6
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
(I have Lawrie Pardy's MusikDingsSerif as User2, but you can also use Lawrie Pardy's MusikDingsSans, Swingdings, Barry Graham's BoxMarks, or Marsu's BoxMark2)

Reply #6
Thanks all - sorry to take so long to reply but rather busy on other things this week.

I discovered that the "justification" works differently from word processing justification, and that "justify right" actually moves the text to the left. And now it's working! Thanks for that, David P.