Skip to main content
Topic: Page Text Alignment/Placement (Read 6734 times) previous topic - next topic

Page Text Alignment/Placement

If Text Expression->Display Font: is:
  • Page Title Text
  • Page Text
              - or -
  • Page Small Text

Wouldn't it make sense to justify it with respect to the page?

Expression Placement->Alignment/Placement: should be ignored.
just a thought ...
Registered user since 1996

Re: Page Text Alignment/Placement

Reply #1
G'day Rick,
I disagree mate, I use both Page Text and Page Small Text extensively with various alignment requirements. 

I can also imagine circumstances where Page Title Text might also be used in places other than the title...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I'm with Lawrie on this one - and I don't have to imagine circumstances where Page Title Text might also be used in places other than the title...

Reply #3
I don't have to imagine circumstances where Page Title Text might also be used in places other than the title...
Question: When you are using Page Title Text, is alignment over a note/bar critical? I would think that something that large would mostly be centered or flush left/right with the page. 

I've used the comma from Page Title Text to replace an ill-placed breath mark, but I would gladly give that up to be able to do a 2 line title that I didn't have to reposition because of e.g., a small edit in measure 2.

What I hear both of you saying is that you have run out of font slots on some music.  Good argument for adding User 8, 9, 10 ... but not responsive to the logic of a Page Font aligning with the Page.

Reply #4
Question: When you are using Page Title Text, is alignment over a note/bar critical? I would think that something that large would mostly be centered or flush left/right with the page. 

Dunno, I haven't had an opportunity or need to use it that way yet...

<snip>

What I hear both of you saying is that you have run out of font slots on some music.  Good argument for adding User 8, 9, 10 ... but not responsive to the logic of a Page Font aligning with the Page.

On the contrary, I've never run out of font slots.  I choose to use the Page Fonts 'cos that's what they're there for.  Maintains consistency of type face and size. 

Page Title is of course the title,
Page Text is things like Author and Lyricist and
Page Small is the copyright notice.

All of them are whatever else you choose to use 'em for.  The only additional fonts I normally use are User1=SwingDings and User6=SwingChord - I reset the standard fonts to SwingText and the system font to NWC2SwingDings...

Constant changes in font size and/or type face make things harder to read.

To resolve your point, I think I'd be more inclined to add alignment options - something like "At Left Margin", "At Right Margin", "At Page Centre" and possibly some tab stops...

Reply #5
Page Title is of course the title,
Page Text is things like Author and Lyricist and
Page Small is the copyright notice.
And they still would be. I'm just proposing that if you use them anywhere else, they would align to the page.
I'd love to have more alignment options for all the fonts.  I just thought this would be a simple way to get a little bit.

Reply #6
I prefer to leave the page and staff fonts in their default settings, but I have run out of user fonts and had to alter the page and staff ones.  Lawrie's fonts overcame that, if I recall, but I haven't given the program a good workout for a few months, and I don't specifically recall.   

I like the current alignment choices, but agree with Rick, if I correctly interpret his suggestion to have additional settings to align with the left margin of the page, the right margin, or centre on the page.  I don't know if justify would look good, but others might like it.

Reply #7
The Insert mechanism will probably not be used for an official means to add text that requires "page level" formatting. A page text tool is on the wish list, and if added, would probably be via a page level scheme.

Reply #8
G'day Eric,
merry Christmas mate!

<snip> A page text tool is on the wish list, and if added, would probably be via a page level scheme.

This would be most welcome!

Reply #9
A page text tool is on the wish list, and if added, would probably be via a page level scheme.
There are times when you want horozontal alignment with the page, but vertical placement attached to the staff.
I doubt that a "page level scheme" will do that.

The last thing anyone would want is for text entry to be as complex as MS Word.

OTH, a good subset of HTML tags and Cascading Style Sheets ....   :)

Reply #10
I sometimes use the "top 6" fonts for other purposes, not because I've run out of slots, but to ensure the text appears consistent.  For example, I use Page Title Text font for the title of the next song when it starts on the next staff (see the example I've attached).  Usually I'd prefer this to be Page-centred (as Rick's proposal), but sometimes it would clash with other things on the page, so I place it using normal text placement options.  I with David about the extra alignment choices.

The other place I regularly use Page Title Text is for a V.S. when it's a bad page turn.  I use Page Small Text for rehearsal comments that don't need to be noticed, such as "cut 21-28", and usually at 6 point.  It means tiny page numbers, but they're also unimportant when you're playing.

Fonts in the attachment are: Swing Text 11,11,11,24,16,8, then SwingDings 20, SwingDings 11, (unused), Combinumerals 24, WingDings 20, SwingChords 12.  Combinumerals are for a white number on a black circle, and WingDings for an up arrow and a down arrow.

The attachment also shows very wide semiquavers (mentioned in another thread) and how I try to deal with them, where bar number re-starting would be good, and how I live with the lack of reminder and courtesy accidentals.  Also standard work-arounds for multibar rests and courtesy time/key signature changes at the ends of staves.

Reply #11
G'day Ewan,
that don't look half bad mate... 

Umm, re courtesy acidentals - you do remember they are available in SwingDings don't you? 

² or <Alt-0178> = ²
³ or <Alt-0179> = ³
´ or <Alt-0180> = ´
¹ or <Alt-0185> = ¹
× or <Alt-0215> = ×

Reply #12
I had half forgotten they were there, but I've avoided using fonts for this in the past as the spacing can be tricky (especially when you start forcing bar-lines for better page-turns) and they don't transpose.  I also feel that this should somehow be part of NWC and am just a bit stubborn about it. See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4278.0.  (I'm thinking of a fourth type of accidental - one placed above the note, above the staff.  Useful for turning a bassoon part into a bari sax part.)

Usually my solution is to put the extra accidentals where I want, and then never audit.  Having said that, I might give them a try.  Have you set the symbols to use any particular text spacing?  Does the forum have any hints?  Layered staff just for courtesy accidentals?

Reply #13
G'day Ewan,

<snip>
Usually my solution is to put the extra accidentals where I want, and then never audit.  Having said that, I might give them a try.  Have you set the symbols to use any particular text spacing?  Does the forum have any hints?  Layered staff just for courtesy accidentals?

I usually just place 'em Left justified, best fit with preserve width turned ON.  Sometimes you need to fiddle but this usually works.

SwingDings was intended to be used at the same point size as the staff, though you may, of course, adjust this to taste.