Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Stops Working in Beta 2.10 (Read 5714 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Stops Working in Beta 2.10

It seems that for me NoteWorthy stopped being able to play through the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth when I installed beta 2.10.  I can still get MIDI to work when I select an alternate device that goes to a physical MIDI port, but neither the Microsoft MIDI Mapper or the GS Wavetable SW Synth will work.  This seems odd to me as I have never had any problems getting the MIDI to work with this hardware.  Has anybody else experienced this type of issue when upgrading to 2.10?  I am using Windows XP.

...Never mind.  I just realized that somehow the volume got turned down to zero on the Software Synth.  Weird.

Re: MIDI Stops Working in Beta 2.10

Reply #1
This has been a popular problem again lately, which is why we added the Windows Volume Control to the toolbar.

Back in the 90s, there was a popular audio player that would reset various system volume sliders to 0 whenever it was run. This issue faded after a while, either because the audio player was fixed, or it dropped in popularity.

Lately, this behavior has resurfaced. Some have reported that a newer Windows Media Player cause this. However, it does not do this on our test systems.

Reply #2
which is why we added the Windows Volume Control to the toolbar.
Could you move it to the top of the Tools menu, far away from User Tool...?

Maybe a popup when you press F5 saying:

Do you know that your volume is set to ZERO?

Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
That would place it in with the playback and recording section of the dropdown Tools menu, a good fit.  Good call, Rick.

Reply #4
There won't be any popup, but I will move the menu item into the Play/Record section of the Tools menu. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply #5
We are working to add automatic detection for this situation in Beta 2.18, which should be released shortly.

Reply #6
Beta 2.18 includes a check of the volume acknowledged by the device used by the MIDI Mapper (the preferred system MIDI device). Unfortunately, after substantial investigation, it is clear that some manufacturer's drivers do not properly implement the volume handling scheme provided by the Windows MIDI multimedia API. Therefore, this check will not necessarily protect a computer from having its MIDI setup muted by various media players. It does work pretty well with the Microsoft GS Wavetable device, though.

Re: MIDI Stops Working in Beta 2.10-Works on Vista those 2 items, midi -emulate

Reply #7

I have used NoteWorthy Composer for Midi playing, Mapper and the other item works, on my  Dell Demsion B1100 with Vista. Only my Midi Cable emulates the noise instead of the playing the music back on my Concertmate990.  Do I have to change the IO Settings on my Dell Demsioin B1100 Vista OS??

KatyAnnRose55

Reply #8
Katy, I will paste below my reply to your help request on another thread.  It seems to me that you are really asking the same question in all your posts, worded slightly differently in each one.  As noted below, we need more info before any of us can even define the problem you are really having, let alone come up with a solution:

KatyAnnRose55, you mentioned a "decoder" on this and another thread.  Could possibly mean an audio "codec"?  That is short for coder-decoder.  Someone can certainly give you a better definition, but roughly codecs are applications that the computer uses to convert digital sound into different audio formats with different levels of depth of sound information, such as mp3, ogg vorbis, wma, etc.  Again, more info would be helpful - how are your keyboard's MIDI jacks connected to your computer (MIDI interface manufacturer and model, straight USB with no MIDI cables, etc.), are you on a laptop or a desktop, the text of error messages that pop up, whether you C-mate 990 manual says it is General MIDI compatible, any detail and any text from which you are getting what you write in your posts would be helpful.