Skip to main content
Topic: Connect MIDI to USB (Read 23650 times) previous topic - next topic

Connect MIDI to USB

I have a Concertmate 990 keyboard, late model computer with USB ports running Windows XP Professional, and NWC 1.75b.  Please give me some guidance on what cables/adaptors I need to buy to get keyboard and NWC talking to each other via USB.  The aim is to play on the keyboard and have NWC write the score of what is played.  Please include recommendation, if you have one, as to where I can mailorder cables/adaptors -- company name, web address, phone, etc.  Any other comments relevant to connecting keyboard/NWC and writing score from keyboard input are welcome.  If you wish, write me directly at
         josephmansfield xxx prodigy.net.mx
changing the xxx to @ as needed.  If you include phone number I can call you at your convenience.  Many thanks.

Re: Connect MIDI to USB

Reply #1
You can find lots of choices using Google for: "usb midi interface"

Depending on your country, pick your online retailer (Amazon.com, zzounds.com, musiciansfriend.com, Sweetwater.com, etc.) or use your local music gear store.

See also:

FAQ - How do I set up to use a MIDI keyboard with NWC?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/52.htm

Reply #2
Amazon USA list three suppliers of USB/MIDI cables from $24.95 plus dispatch
Maplin UK list item VL80B at £14.99 plus delivery

Tony

Reply #3
Before you buy any of these, you should make sure that there is a MIDI Port on the back of your keyboard.

Reply #4
According to a Concertmate 990 specification I downloaded just now , it has 1 MIDI Out and 1 MIDI In

Tony

Reply #5
Thank you, all.  I ordered a M-AUDIO USB Midisport Uno MIDI Interface from Amazon.  We'll see how we come out.

Reply #6
<snip> M-AUDIO USB Midisport Uno MIDI Interface <snip>
That's what I have...it's sort of tricky to install.  Here are some tips:
  • Install the driver (from the CD or from http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers) before connecting the adapter to the computer.
  • If the "found new hardware" wizard comes up more then once, go through the wizard both times.
  • To set it up with NWC, go to Tools-Options-Midi for playback and Tools-Options-Record for input.

Reply #7
Thanks much, Kahman.  Especially for web address for drivers, as I don't have a functioning CD drive right now.   Delivery date will be around 20 Dec.  You may hear me put up a great cry for help right about then.

Reply #8
This is a followup on a thread I started several weeks ago.  Givens:
  Concertmate 990 (aka Casio CTK-601) keyboard
  NWC version 1.75b
  Windows XP with service pack 2
Problem, make keyboard and NWC talk to each other.

I opted for a M-AUDIO MidiSport Uno Interface from Amazon, about $39.

The interface came with a CD and I let the CD take over and do the installation.  It started off saying plug in the interface so I did.  Then after the install program ran, NWC could see the device but did not distinguish input from output.  I unplugged the device from the USB port, waited several seconds, plugged it back in, and NWC could see it correctly, as a Midi-in and Midi-out.

The automatic installation also said check the README on the CD, which I did after installation.  The README gave steps for manual installation and referred to an install program that was not present on the disk.  It also said to let the drivers get installed, then connect the interface, wait for Windows to see it, then start NWC and configure midi in and out.

Conclusion is that I had almost no trouble, everything went smooth, I was up and running in about 5 minutes.

My recommendation to anyone else installing this interface would be, use the automatic install on the CD but do not connect the interface when it says to.  Wait until install is complete and the install program is shut down.  Then connect interface, then configure NWC.

BTW, the NWC configuration is:  go to Tools/Options/Record and set the input device as USB Uno MIDI In.  If you also wish to use the keyboard as an output, go to Tools/Options/MIDI and select USB Uno MIDI Out as your playback device.

Before buying this device, search this site for all comments on it.  There is some make of keyboard it will not work with but I don't remember just what it is.  There is also a manufacturer's knowledge base; go to http://www.m-audio.com/ and search on MidiSport Uno.

Cheers!  Thanks again to those who helped me earlier.

2007.01.13, addendum.  Reviews of the Midisport Uno on Amazon indicate it will not work with Yamaha PSR series keyboards and perhaps other Yamaha models.

Reply #9
2007.01.13, addendum.  Reviews of the Midisport Uno on Amazon indicate it will not work with Yamaha PSR series keyboards and perhaps other Yamaha models.
I would disagree with that, as I have mine connected to a Yamaha PSR-273, and it works beautifully.  Once I did have a problem with it, but I fixed it by restarting the computer.

Reply #10
I would disagree with that, as I have mine connected to a Yamaha PSR-273, and it works beautifully.
Great.  Mebbe they fixed it -- or mebbe the reviewer I read was mistaken as to why his didn't work.

Kahman, could you possibly apply your encyclopedic knowledge of NWC to the other post I put in, "Problems with recording from MIDI keyboard", topic 5859.0, posted in general discussion.  Many thanks in advance if you or anyone else can give me any help on the problem described in that post.

Re: Connect MIDI to USB TO A CONCERTMATE 900

Reply #11
 Dear Joseph,                                                           May 31, 2008

I to have a midi problem with a Concertmate 900, I happened to have special cables for this type of  CONCERTMATE 900 from Radio Shack. I also use a Turtle Beach Midi  AND used a regular Midi cable both work well except I am having a problem with the IN-put of both cables not working right. I have to figure out what to do from others on this website.

Sincerely

KatyAnnRose55
Kathleen Gleeson