Skip to main content
Topic: Percussion (Read 12430 times) previous topic - next topic

Percussion

I have absolutely no idea how to add a drums/percussion part to m y music. There's no inst. Patch for it, so how do i add it?

Re: Percussion

Reply #1
Set the drum staff to MIDI channel 10
For more info, open:
  Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer\SAMPLES\DRUMREF.NWC

Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
If you set the instrument for the drum staff to Acoustic Grand Piano, and the midi channel to 10, you'll get decent drum effects.  Each sound is at a different vertical position.  You can use a hidden staff for creating the sound, and use a muted visible staff for the notation.

Also, if you use NWC2, you can get x-shaped note heads.

Reply #3
Also, if you use NWC2, you can get x-shaped note heads.
And diamond-shaped note heads, headless notes, and percussion clefs.

I don't know if anyone's written a user script (NWC2 only) to transform from the percussion notation to MIDI channel 10 notes.

Reply #4
I don't believe a script would be of much use since it has no concept of clef, key  or transposition.

But if you are after a means of notating percussion notes at a specific notated clef position while having them interpreted at a particular MIDI pitch then you simply use transposition on as many layered staffs as required.

Reply #5
Edit: what is a "MIDI channel"?

Reply #6
"MIDI Channel" is an arbitrary contruct of the MIDI Specification.

If you press F2 on a staff, click on the Midi tab, click on the ? (upper right corner), then click on Channel, you get this:
This specifies which channel on the specified device should be used for playback of this staff.

MIDI devices can support up to 16 channels. Each channel generally uses its own instrument patch, volume, and various other performance parameters. It is usually necessary to use unique channels per staff so that one staff does not interfere with the playback of another staff. By default, each new staff is assigned a new, unique channel.

I would add that channel 10 is usually percussion and that it would help if NWC would skip it when assigning "a new, unique channel".

Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
Thanks! Now i can finally have pecussion sounds on my music
'