Skip to main content
Topic: Local and master repeat / special endings (Read 4451 times) previous topic - next topic

Local and master repeat / special endings

Quote from the help File :
Local Repeat Open/Close: A special form of sectional repeat symbols. These allow a section to be repeated for a specified number of iterations without specifying special endings for each iteration. These loops can be nested inside a master loop which contains special endings. Special endings do not apply to local repeats. Attempts to combine local repeats and special endings will yield unpredictable results. Unlike master repeats, local repeat loops are performed even after a D.S. or D.C. flow direction has been executed.

Master Repeat Open/Close: Sectional repeat symbols for repeating a section. Each repeat should specify a special ending prior to the closing repeat symbol (see Special Ending Command). The closing repeat mark is ignored after a D.S. or D.C. flow redirection has been initiated.

So if I understand it well:
- Only in a 'local repeat close', you can specify how many repeats are needed
- Only in a 'master repeat close', special endings are taken into account

My questions:
- What if I want three iterations, each with a different ending ? 
- More general :How can one use the 3th until 7th special endings that are possible to mark?
- Is this specific for Noteworthy or is it due to music theory (which I don't know much about) ?

Copyright © 2006 by NoteWorthy Software, Inc.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: Local and master repeat / special endings

Reply #1
Only in a 'local repeat close', you can specify how many repeats are needed
Yes - local repeats are just that - specify how many times you want tat passage played - no variance.

Only in a 'master repeat close', special endings are taken into account
That's right - they have no meaning for a master repeat

What if I want three iterations, each with a different ending ?

Then you have to use a master repeat.
Put special ending 1 where the first ending starts, then complete it with a master repeat close.
Immediately after that, put special ending 2 and complete that ending with a master repeat close.
Immediately after that put special ending 3 - this one doesn't need a master repeat ending.

More general :How can one use the 3th until 7th special endings that are possible to mark?

When you hit the s Key, a dialogue box appears. Here you can select which endings should play the following measures.
So you could have the first one that is marked with endings 1,3,5 and th second one marked with 2,4,6 for example.

The one that says default / DS/DC ending will be the one used if you dont specify an ending or if you have already passed a DS or DC instruction.

Rich.

Reply #2
P.S.

If you look at the Repeat examples that come with NoteWorthy, they will give you working examples of how all the repeats work.

Rich.

Reply #3
Geez, I spent an hour drafting a reply, went to post it, and hit the wrong key, closing the window.  With no way to recover my post, I'll start over, and try not to repeat what Rich has explained. 

- Only in a 'local repeat close', you can specify how many repeats are needed
- Only in a 'master repeat close', special endings are taken into account

I think you're right.

What if I want three iterations, each with a different ending ?   - More general :How can one use the 3th until 7th special endings that are possible to mark?

The attached example shows the interaction of special endings and the two repeat functions.

- Is this specific for Noteworthy or is it due to music theory (which I don't know much about) ?

The local repeat in NWC is not found in music theory (although the ||: and  :|| symbols are).  It's a tool developed for midi playback so you don't have to write the same bar(s) over and over again.    The first ending is used in NWC with the master repeat close.  It just says "play this/these bar(s) the first time, but skip them the second time.   The second ending will always be placed right after the repeat sign.  If the second ending then repeats, you skip both the first and second endings on that repeat, and go to the third ending, etc., until you run out of special ending numbers. 

The thick and thin lines in NWC's master repeat open and close are just stylistic, although very good, and in NWC are used to make it obvious whether or not you are using a local or master repeat.  In other words, in printed or written music, the  double bar line with the two accompanying dots can be two thin lines or one thick, one thin, depending on your preferences, but it's easier to see the thick/thin combination. 

I have never encountered more than 4 endings in 40+ years of playing concert band music, even 3 endings are uncommon, but I believe more endings may be used often in choral music.

My example is fairly basic.  Rich's reply shows a more sophisticated, and not uncommon, usage. 

Hope this helps.

Reply #4
Thanks, Richard and David, for your clear answers.

As a mathematician, I assumed the repeat open and close always should appear in pairs, (eventually nested (in which case the last close refers to the first open (as is the case with brackets))):-).

Assuming that, my conclusion was that you could'nt have more than 2 iterations with master repeats (because you can only specify how many repeats are needed in local repeats), so how could one ever reach the 3th special ending?

But now I uderstand : you can put more than 1 master repeat closes, (each with its own special ending(s)), and they all go back to the same master repeat open.

Right? (If so, I don't expect an aswer (unless you prefer to of course))

I also looked at the repeat examples as you suggested, Richard. Another thing I understand now is that a master repeat can be put inside a local one (as you can observe in repeat1.nwc). Again I was misled by my logical mind (and by the Help file, which says about local repeats : "These loops can be nested inside a master loop which contains special endings.").
Of course, to be honest (an logical): that doesn't imply that the opposite is excluded.
Conclusion: Music is'nt mathematics, and music doesn't have to be logical! So it doesn't have to be boring either.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
assumed the repeat open and close always should appear in pairs,
'

It depends if you're at the beginning of the song or not.  Repeat theory is nicely explained here http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory24.htm.  That's "theory" but not necessarily how NWC works.

in which case the last close refers to the first open

No.  The closing repeat sign refers to the opening repeat before it.  You should never see ||: ||: ooo :|| :||

((ooo represents notes)).

nt have more than 2 iterations with master repeats
It's not uncommon to see "repeat twice" or "play 3 times" at the beginning of a repeated section.

how could one ever reach the 3th special ending? But now I uderstand : you can put more than 1 master repeat closes, (each with its own special ending(s)), and they all go back to the same master repeat open.  Right?

Right.

understand now is that a master repeat can be put inside a local one (as you can observe in repeat1.nwc

That's programming logic.  You won't see it in "real" printed music.

Music is'nt mathematics, and music doesn't have to be logical! So it doesn't have to be boring either.

Written music is logical, but that logic is sometimes hard to follow, and sometimes has to adapt to composers who don't think logically or don't know the conventions.