Skip to main content
Topic: Lost in Beta 2.05? (Read 4763 times) previous topic - next topic

Lost in Beta 2.05?

So have the dialogs for vertical placement of things like tempo, fermata, breathmark and special endings gone for good, or were they just broken in beta 2.05?

I really used them a lot.

Also, the dialog settings for things like whether to show things like special endings seem to have been set to "default" without any way to change them to "always"

Brian P. Russell

Re: Lost in Beta 2.05?

Reply #1
G'day Brian,
umm, I'm not seeing your problem...

I normally don't bother with using dialogues to manage vertical placement, highlight and <Shift-Ctrl-Up/Dn Arrow> does me, however, if you highlight one of these fellas (Fermata, breath mark etc.) and click on the "Expression Placement" tab, "Staff Position" is still there...  Or was there another dialogue I'm unaware of?

As for changing the visibility of special endings, I use it all the time (Change to "hidden" so's I can put text ones from "SwingDings" in) and have only just finished a piece (in beta2.05) using this...  Are you clicking on the "Visibility" tab in the properties dialogue?

Hopefully this is just a "blonde moment" (I have 'em all the time ;) and not a real problem...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Yes, I see them now. But it seems foolish to me to make the user go back and access these features through a 'Highlight", when previous versions had it right there every time you inserted any of them.

It  is now more difficult to access than before, and that isn't progress.

Brian Peter Russell

Reply #3
G'day Brian,
umm, I must be missing something...  Can you guide me through the steps you used to take?

My problem is that I never use the menus unless I _absolutely_ have to so I usually don't see the dialogues at that time.

If I want a fermata, I just hit the fermata button on the tool bar.  If it's in the wrong spot, I <Shift-Left Arrow> to highlight it and then <Shift-Ctrl-Up/Dn arrow> to move it...

When I checked inserting a fermata via the |Insert|Tempo Variance| dialogue, I got the same dialogue as when I wanted to edit one...  There's a "Tempo Variance" tab, an "Expression Placement" tab and a "Visibility" tab.  they all seem to be there to me.

Is there another dialogue I don't know about???
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
The tempo variances now automatically insert at the position of the cursor.  If you enter a middle line "b", then move back to enter a fermata over it, the fermata actually collides with the note unless you move the cursor up or down. 

I think I recall the days when you had the vertical position dialogue in the popdown screen when you pressed e.  Now it's on the next tab of that popdown. 

I agree with Brian that this is something that needs to be tweaked.  The dialogue should be on the first tab that opens, not a second one.  The default should ALWAYS be above the staff, since these are seldom, if ever shown inside it.  The sign should NEVER collide with the note or its stem.

Occasionally, and only with NWC files, have I seen a fermata upside down below the staff.  I assume that is correct since NWC allows it, but I'd suggest over the staff is by far the more common presentation and so should be the default.

Reply #5
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the answer to the problem that Brian raised is nothing to do with the forthcoming answers.

I think that Brian has changed one of his settings. (Perhaps accidentally).  Go to Tools / Options / Editor and see if there is a check mark against Smart Properties Insert. If there is - remove it.

With it removed  - you get more in the dialog boxes when you insert (for example - pressing e gives you 3 dialog tabs in the box) . With it selected, you only get one and the program inserts according to where the last item was placed.

HTH

Rich.

Reply #6
I think that it would be helpful as well if the current vertical position value of the cursor was shown somewhere on the editor GUI... Maybe in the status bar at the bottom.  (?)  Hummm.  That would help also with the personal issue that I have with the lack of courtesy ledger lines... You could 'see' where the cursor is vertically located.

Reply #7
CDon,
You might try keeping this note:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:-12z,12z|Visibility:Never
at the end and do your note entry just before it.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
Hi CDon, try this until NWC gives us courtesy leger lines (which I don't expect will happen soon, and which I think I'd find distracting). 

Add a new staff with 16 lines, and upper and lower vertical sizes of 16 or more.  Give it a light colour that doesn't match your active staff or notation.  Layer it under your active staff.  That gives you 5 leger lines above and 6 below the staff.  You can add more lines if you need to.

Hope this helps during the wait...

Reply #10

You might try keeping this note:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:-12z,12z|Visibility:Never
at the end and do your note entry just before it.

Rick,
Thank you!  This works quite well.  I can put it in the template files that I use all the time, and it will be there when needed.

David,
Thank you as well for your suggestion.  I have used this at previous times, but Rick's idea seems a bit simpler.