Skip to main content
Topic: NWC to Finale PrintMusic? (Read 4719 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC to Finale PrintMusic?

I'm a NWC user (1.75b). NWC is OK. It is easy to use and with it is easy to record my compositions and ideas.

But now it is time to publish my compositions into a songbook. Often NWC's print layout is enough for me personally - for personal use - but for publishing NWC's printouts are not. It is for example difficult to end correctly your printings. There is often empty room at the end of the paper.

Can you say what would be good to do? Is NWC 2.0 better in this? I am thinking that Finale PrintMusic - because of this thing. But how difficult Finale PrintMusic is to use?

Thank You!

Re: NWC to Finale PrintMusic?

Reply #1
NWC2 does a lot more than version 1, and is worth the small additional cost of upgrading.

Having said that, in version 1, you can adjust the vertical height of staffs so your pages are filled out - it's a bit of trial and error, but not hard to do. 

You can force the last line of your staff to extend to the right margin by either choosing Extend last system in Page Setup, but better yet, by adding a bar line at the end, with its properties set to Force System Break.  Using FSB a few bars earlier as well will allow you to control the distortion it causes in the last system on the page.

Reply #2
Thank you, David!
Printouts are much better now! :)

You recommend NWC2. I am not sure if I am eligible for beta-testing (and get later NWC2). I think I have version 1.75 - but I don't have any CD.

Can you (or anyone else) say what new version 2 will cost when published?

Reply #3
Happy to have helped.

The price of version 2 has not been announced yet.  To get the beta version, which is very good indeed, you have to buy the 1.75b CD, but that only costs $US15.  You won't be disappointed. 

Go here for all the information you need:  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/#availability

Reply #4
OK. Done. :) Now waiting...

Reply #5
You can also 'pad' lines out by inserting text and in the text box just use spaces from the space-bar, and on the 'Expression Placement' tab tick the 'Preserve Width' box. These 'pads' can be inserted between any notes to adjust the look and fill of a page. NWC2 will give better slurs and better note-stem length on semi-quavers etc., but for printing, if you can't get NWC2 don't despair because the NWC2 viewer is free to all and you can print preview and print from it.