Skip to main content
Topic: Rests -- alignment (NWC ver 1.75d) (Read 2718 times) previous topic - next topic

Rests -- alignment (NWC ver 1.75d)

If I number my verses, I usually shift the first note 2 or 3 spaces to the right so that the first syllable of the text falls under the first note. The problem arises when I happen to have a rest in another clef and try to align it under the first note. There's no way I can do it or at least, I haven't found a way to do it. My printout looks silly with the first rest being way over to the left.

Re: Rests -- alignment (NWC ver 1.75d)

Reply #1

In the first staff, add a quarter note, muted, with visibility=Never just before the first note.  That will anchor the numbers you use for each verse.  The first word of each verse will shift to the next, "real." note. 

In the second staff, add a quarter rest, visibility=Never before the first rest.  That will shift the real rest to the right. 

The attached .gif image should illustrate my suggestion.  I added a hidden bar line in each staff, too, but it wasn't really necessary

Hope this helps.

Reply #2
The hidden bar line is necessary if other staves have whole rests in them,
otherwise, the whole rest will be misaligned.
Also, make sure to set Measure Start to 0.

Reply #3
You can also use a hidden grace note with: Lyric Syllable: Always
This avoids the extra beat and bar line.

If you want the playback to be correct, make the grace note pitches the same as the first note and tie the grace note to it. Set both notes to: Lyric Syllable: Always
Registered user since 1996