Skip to main content
Topic: Master repeat, more than twice (Read 4992 times) previous topic - next topic

Master repeat, more than twice

I'm just a beginner in music notation, and I found that some of the printed music that I've uses what NWC calls "master repeats" for repeating the whole song more than twice (for example with 3 lyrics verses). But if I use "master repeats", the song is played just twice.

Must I use "local repeats" for doing this in NWC, or can I use master repeats with a count >2  ?

Re: Master repeat, more than twice

Reply #1
The number of Master Repeats are dictated by special endings. If you add a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ending (they can all be in the same ending), then you will get three repeats. You can learn more from the repeat*.nwc samples that come with the program.

See also:

FAQ - How do I add repeated sections?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/102.htm

Reply #2
Thanks, I'll understand it better now, although I'll need to experiment a bit.

Reply #3
If you want a special ending to function on playback to give you multiple repeats, but don't want to see it on your printed page, just change its properties to Visibility=Never.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Ending|Endings:1,2,3,4|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:5|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #4
OK, thanks a lot!!

Reply #5
Here's the way I used to do it before David posted his method a while ago.  Mine works better it you need more than 8 or 9 repeats (Rock Lobster, anyone?), but David's is much more elegant and less fiddly.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose|Visibility:Never
|Bar|Style:LocalRepeatOpen|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Bar|Style:LocalRepeatClose|Repeat:21|Visibility:Never
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen|Visibility:Never
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #6
Nobody's ever called me elegant before.  I think I'm going to [glow=red,2,300]blush[/glow]!

Seriously, though, I'd like to take credit for my idea, but I think I stole it from someone else, possibly Eric, who had posted its genesis in one of these threads the same day or very recently.

On another note, has anyone noticed some NWC clips display in a little window (as intended) and others just end up as plain text in forum messages?  I wonder why?

Reply #7
Yes! I noticed that too but was afraid to ask!!! What's up with that?

Reply #8
G'day David (and Fitz),

On another note, has anyone noticed some NWC clips display in a little window (as intended) and others just end up as plain text in forum messages?  I wonder why?

They end up in the window if you surround them with "code" directives... - see the hash button in the compose window
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
G'day David,

Nobody's ever called me elegant before.  I think I'm going to [glow=red,2,300]blush[/glow]!
<snip>

I've been called an elephant before, does that count?  :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
Now I'm going to [glow=red,2,300]hush[/glow]!