Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request: Invert Mute Button & Select multiple staffs (Read 6048 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Invert Mute Button & Select multiple staffs

Hi,

i'm using Notheworthy software for quite a long time and it is still my tool of choose for composing, although having the options to get quite more "expensive" software.

I'm using the Beta of NWC2 now for a time and want to make 2 Feature request.

One thing is the missing of a "solo" button, inverted mute for one or multiple staffs. I know, there is an Mute list with an reverse-option, but it is possible to make a button for this?

Second: If a piece gets larger, sometimes you want to copy a complete section, not just in one staff. Or you want to delete all measures ("bars"?) between 21 and 24, want to add 3 measures in evey staff at measure 40 or something like this. At the moment, its very hard to do, because you have to edit every staff for its own which is very confusing: Often you simple don't know where you are or you have to delete all after 33 and paste it into another nwc-file, evey staff alone.
A selection and editing mode for multiple staffs would be fantastic. This would enable one to work more structured.

greetings
Nils

Re: Feature Request: Invert Mute Button & Select multiple staffs

Reply #1
Great ideas, and I support your requests.  You should copy your request to the Wish List, accessible from Noteworthy's home page, in the Support section.

Reply #2
Shift+F5 will "solo" a track.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
There is also a script written by Andrew Purdam that will, like your example describes,  cut measures 21-24 or can add any number of measures (after you've added them to the first staff you're working on) to each subsequent staff in a large piece.  A short tutorial and the actual script is attached.  You will need save the file in your Scripts directory in NWC2 and change the file extention from .txt to .php and invoke the script through the User Tool command.  While the process is not perfect, it will save the time of having to search for the exact measures in each staff.

Instructions on how to install and use the various User Tools can be found at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5537.0.

Reply #4
I haven't looked at Andrews script yet, but it sounds like a good thing.
It does get a bit confusing when you want to remove a section from all staves. The main thing to remember is to start from the bottom staff and move upward because the measure numbers are attached to the top staff. If you remove the measures from the top, you will loose track right off.  Another way to keep your place is to mark each staff with a text character at the begining and end of the chunk you want to remove, or use master repeats to mark them out so you know where you are in each staff.
Somehow I don't think that selection of multiple staves is going to fly although it would be nice.

Reply #5
To help with a couple of the wrinkles Fitz identifies, if you need to track bar numbering reliably when working half way down a big score, create a new staff, which you will move up and down as you wish.   Make it as long as you need, and include time signature changes if you need them, as here:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4|Color:7
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Muted|Color:7|Visibility:Never
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:7|Visibility:Never
|Bar|Color:7
|TimeSig|Signature:3/4|Color:7
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4|Color:7
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Add the following lyric to each of these staffs:

etc. - just keep adding numbers.  I found it was fast and easy to get from 1 to 346 by using an Excel spreadsheet Edit/Fill Series, then copying the result into the lyric editor.

The invisible quarter notes serve as anchors for each word (which is a number) in the lyric. 

Now you have visible bar numbers which you can simply move up or down the score whenever you need to see them. 

If you have flow direction commands you'll want to make sure to include them on this staff to avoid playback glitches.

On the other staffs, I marked all staffs with this to make sure I could see quickly where the beginning of each page of the original score was:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Bar|Style:SectionClose|Color:7
|Bar|Style:SectionOpen|Color:7
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Where I wanted to make sure to keep track of section endings, I added this in a highly contrasting colour to make them very obvious: 

|Bar|Style:SectionClose|XBarCnt:N|SysBreak:N|Color:6|Visibility:Default

These markers will be removed, of course, before I print the score.

Reply #6
I forgot if I made this a official feature request or not... hm..