Skip to main content
Topic: Can't write to autosave folder (Read 3913 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't write to autosave folder

I'm using Noteworthy 1.75b with Web Update 2 (32-bit) on Windows XP Home with SP2.

While I'm editing a score I get error messages that Noteworthy cannot create a BAK file. It is trying to do this in the folder C:\Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer\AutoSave, which (reasonably enough) is not writeable by a non-admin user.

I have tried to change the Autosave folder to  one that I own, but after browsing to choose it, the change is not effective. I can't find a relevant registry entry either. Where are my personal options stored, and how can I change this setting?

Re: Can't write to autosave folder

Reply #1
G'day fthynne,
I'm using Noteworthy 1.75b with Web Update 2 (32-bit) on Windows XP Home with SP2.

While I'm editing a score I get error messages that Noteworthy cannot create a BAK file. It is trying to do this in the folder C:\Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer\AutoSave, which (reasonably enough) is not writeable by a non-admin user.

I have tried to change the Autosave folder to  one that I own, but after browsing to choose it, the change is not effective. I can't find a relevant registry entry either. Where are my personal options stored, and how can I change this setting?

I'm guessing that you have an NTFS file system which allows for user access controls to be applied on a folder by folder and file by file basis.

Couple ways to fix:
  • In NWC, go to |Tools|Options| Folders tab, dbl-click "Auto Save/Recovery" and change the location to one where you have rights
  • Login as an administrator user, browse to the folder and change the access rights (only works if you DON'T have simple file sharing enabled)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
NWC1 saves all of its option settings in the "nwc.ini" file. By default, it will use the program files folder for this file. However, if you mark the NWC.INI file in this folder as "Read-only" then a system folder will be used for this file.

Reply #3
Hi I apoligies for cutting in on this question but i can't find the area to get into to ask a question of my own Help" rikbel@ juno .com

Reply #4

i can't find the area to get into to ask a question of my own Help

Click on Home[/color] in the
Home    Help  Search  Profile  Personal Msgs  Members  Logout  

string up and to the left of this reply.  Then click on General Discussion (or another forum).  From there you should be able to select "New Message."

Reply #5
G'day fthynne,
I'm guessing that you have an NTFS file system which allows for user access controls to be applied on a folder by folder and file by file basis.

Couple ways to fix:
  • In NWC, go to |Tools|Options| Folders tab, dbl-click "Auto Save/Recovery" and change the location to one where you have rights
  • Login as an administrator user, browse to the folder and change the access rights (only works if you DON'T have simple file sharing enabled)
Thanks for your reply, Lawrie. Yes, I do have NTFS (it's the right thing to do) and I realised that I didn't have write privileges to the default autosave folder.

Method 1, which I had already tried, did not work. Although I could find the place to change the Autosave location, the change I entered did not take effect - indeed, it seems to have been ignored completely.

After facing the "can't save" message over and over again, I had already decided to use your method 2. It's a bit tiresome, because with XP Home Edition you have to restart in safe mode to gain access to all the file and folder security settings.

So, I think there's a bug. When a user changes the autosave folder location, the change isn't being saved.

Best wishes
Frank

Reply #6
NWC1 saves all of its option settings in the "nwc.ini" file. By default, it will use the program files folder for this file. However, if you mark the NWC.INI file in this folder as "Read-only" then a system folder will be used for this file.

Thanks, that worked. It caused C:\WINDOWS\NWC.INI (which was inherited from my previous PC) to be used to hold the option. A few undesirable settings in that file were adopted but I think I've shaken them off now. Thanks again.

Reply #7
If you want to start over, you can simply delete the C:\Windows\NWC.INI file (with NWC closed), and it will be recreated with defaults the next time you work in NWC.