Skip to main content
Topic: Software limitations or cheap sound card? (Read 3928 times) previous topic - next topic

Software limitations or cheap sound card?

in writing a piece of music recently, I found that i could not effect the phaser depth or reverb depth or in any way effect the timbre of the notes
is this cause my sound card is too cheap (never buy a $32 computer component)
or it just a limitation of noteworthy?

Re: Software limitations or cheap sound card?

Reply #1
also occaisonaily the notes decided not to pan like i tell them to

Reply #2
G'day Christian,
basically, your control of MIDI effects is as good as your synth...

NWC does have some limitations in relation to MIDI controls, but AFAIK all the effects you're trying are correctly implemented within NWC itself, it simply remains for the synth/sound card to implement 'em...

It is worth noting that you may need to enable sound card support for some of 'em.  Things like reverb etc.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
awwww rasberies
gues that means i got some money to be spendin

Reply #4
Doesn't have to be too very much money.  Get a Yamaha PSR-293 keyboard (about $200 US) or whatever the cheapest Yamaha is that has a USB interface.  You'll have great sound (even with a laptop) and a keyboard to input all your masterpieces into NWC.  Or you could search on the internet for the discontinued softsynth Yamaha S-YXG50 if you are using Win XP, 2000, or NT.  If you are still using Win 98 try to find the Yamaha S-YXG100 softsynth.  If you want to render a piece from the keyboard to an mp3 file to send as e-mail or store, or as a wav file to burn to CD, download and install Audacity (www.audacity.sourceforge.net), a free audio editor, and record your NWC files as they play back through the synth.  For a softsynth no additional cables are necessary.  For a keyboard, get a cable with a 1/4" stereo plug on the keyboard end and a 1/8" stereo plug on the computer end.  Plug the keyboard end into the headphone jack on the keyboard and the computer end into the Line In jack on the sound card.  Adjust the record levels in Audacity, keep the volume on the keyboard at about 2 out of 10 and record your masterpiece!

Reply #5
also is there someway i could go about increaseing how much the pitch bend bends?

Reply #6
G'day Christian,
also is there someway i could go about increaseing how much the pitch bend bends?

This has been the subject of some debate quite a while ago.  Basically we need Noteworthy to change the controls available to us in "Multi Point Controllers"

You can read more here:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4953.0
and here:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4962.0

Perhaps a note to the "wishlist"? - http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.php
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7

If you are using an external synth you may be able to edit its global parameters.  If you are lucky, they won't get reset by windows or your sound card driver.

As Lawrie says, if you are using Win98,  a Data Entry MSB might change the pitch bend range.  Ask in the NWC2 Forum and I'll post a clip that works with my SBAWE32 under '98 but won't work with XP.  I don't like to post clips here as they confuse folks who only use NWC 1.75b
Registered user since 1996