Skip to main content
Topic: The one change that would make NWC perfect. (Read 5848 times) previous topic - next topic

The one change that would make NWC perfect.

http://koneco.deltaanime.net/images/mpc.jpg

People ask about it at least once a month. How difficult would it possibly be to make a patch that does this? With this single addition, NWC would become the PERFECT notation-based midi sequencer. The limitation of available controllers (we have CC6 but not CC98-101? WHY?) currently prevents us from reaching our full potential with this software.

So why doesn't this feature exist? Is it planned for NWC2?

Re: The one change that would make NWC perfect.

Reply #1
Hi Pip,
I don't know about perfect, but from what I've learned after my little research excercise yesterday it would certainly go a long way.

I soooo want to be able to create a credible gliss when I'm notating trombone.  The current work around, while inventive, still sounds pretty kludgy so I don't try.

This is my way of saying "I concur"

Lawrie

Reply #2
Just what does this do (what is CC?)?

Reply #3
Hi Ummm,

It might be easiest if you take a look at: i4491

The CC numbers refer to MIDI controllers.  According to one referrence CC stands for Continuous Controller.

E.G. when you use the Volume MPC in NWC I'm pretty sure you are actually adjusting CC7 (Volume MSB) [I think - don't see how it would be CC39 (Volume LSB) as I don't think the adjustment would be coarse enough]

Or Pan MPC is CC10

This link has some info as does This link

Lawrie

Reply #5
This stuff Hertz my brain...

Reply #6
For a while, looking at the picture you gave, I thought you wanted NWC to be on Macintosh.
Until I remembered that I disabled "XP look" on my own XP, gaining memory and time.
'Cause the look of XP is clearly taken from OS X. The window shown looks like one of Garage Band's software.

That would make NWC perfect, as it would be on a reliable operating system :D

This said, the idea to give full access to continuous controllers would lead to many files that won't sound on other configurations as on yours, because AFAIK these CC are not implemented on all devices. The current "selection" is already too wide for my sound card...
So for sake of portability, I'm not convinced of this.

Reply #7
Hi Marsu,

...the idea to give full access to continuous controllers would lead to many files that won't sound on other configurations as on yours, because AFAIK these CC are not implemented on all devices. The current "selection" is already too wide for my sound card...
So for sake of portability, I'm not convinced of this.

Good point, but wouldn't the unimplemented controller instructions simply be ignored and you would be no worse off than you are now?

Sure, you wouldn't hear precisely what the writer intended but you can't hear some of the things I want now because access to those controllers is missing from NWC and I can't implement what I want now.

As things stand, you have an ABC sound card, I have an XYZ one.  You use a "jkl" sound font I don't use one at all.  You balance a work for your particular environment as that is what you hear, it doesn't work for me.  In reality the portability problem already exists.

Good example, I recently submitted a work on the NG.  One person criticized my use of a "hand clap".  I've gone "huh, I didn't use a hand clap".  Turned out that the "brush" sound in my sound font was rendered as a "hand clap" in theirs.

For those with midi instruments it would open up a whole new world accessible from NWC and overall I think this is a good thing.

Expand the appeal of a product and widen its market.  Widen the market and you sell more copies which in turn generates more revenue part of which can be turned to product development/enhancement and we all benefit. [good theory anyway  :) ]

Lawrie

Reply #8
<i>For a while, looking at the picture you gave, I thought you wanted NWC to be on Macintosh.
Until I remembered that I disabled "XP look" on my own XP, gaining memory and time.
'Cause the look of XP is clearly taken from OS X. The window shown looks like one of Garage Band's software.

That would make NWC perfect, as it would be on a reliable operating system :D</i>

Actually, I don't use the default XP look either, I have an OS/X skin applied, and didn't think to take it off for the screenshot/photoshopping. Oops ^^;;