Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping a note playing? (Read 3889 times) previous topic - next topic

Keeping a note playing?

I purchased my NWC in 2000 but haven't used it (or actually learned the program...) until a couple of years ago and there is SOOOOO much to explore....! *Eager to learn* I'm a barbershopper and use NWC to make learning tapes and now I would like to put in the music for a song (a German piece in original: "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen") with many tied and slured whole notes. How can I keep them playing through the whole song??! Tried to search for the topic here but couldn't find a proper one. Anyone who could help me please....?

Re: Keeping a note playing?

Reply #1
If you're looking for something like a drone, you could try changing the instrument from piano to a sustained note instrument such as trumpet, trombone, clarinet, organ.   Do this by selecting a staff and using F2 to chose its  instrument.  

Enter the note as a whole note in one bar, tie it, and copy it to the next bar, repeating the exercise until you have enough bars to fill your song.

You might want to make this a separate staff, and you can hide it if you like.

Reply #2
Ok, thanks for your quick reply! I will try it immediately...! :-)

Reply #3
You're welcome.  Hope it works. 

I envy you barbershoppers.  I can't carry a song in a wet paper bag but I enjoy barbershop harmony.  Even travelled to Portland for the final concert of the SPEBSQSA conference a couple of years ago.  Wanted to attend the whole thing, but you have to be a member for that.

Reply #4
Can someone tell me more about "barbershop" music, please?
 I'm in a male choir with a mostly 'swinging' repertoire (like "sunny side of the street", "always look on the bright side of life", "The lion sleeps tonight", "the Muppet Show theme", ... to give you some idea).

I have the feeling that barbershop music is something that would fit in very well. Is that correct?
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #5
Generally I believe it's 4 part harmony for vocalists.  Probably could be done by medium size groups.  Check out the Society for the Preservation and Enjoyment of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America at http://www.barbershop.org/web/groups/public/documents/pages/pub_homepage.hcsp

This link brings you to Barbershop Harmony Society.  I don't know if that means there's been a name change in the organization or not.

Regardless, there's a ton of information on the site about barbershop music, and I think you can buy it there too.

Reply #6
It is four-part harmony, and it's distinct sound derives mainly from the fact that the top voice does not carry the melody, but rather participates in the accompaniment harmony.  The second voice down has the melody.