Skip to main content
Topic: Slur Handling "Bug" (Read 5151 times) previous topic - next topic

Slur Handling "Bug"

Not, perhaps a full-fledged bug, but here are some complicated chords I have in a short-score setup of a song I'm working on.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:3,9|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half|Pos2:12,13
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:4,8|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:3,7|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:2,6|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:#4|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:#11,14
|RestChord|Dur:16th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:8th|Pos2:3,7,9,11
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:#16|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:3^|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:7^,10^,#11^,17^
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:7,10,11,17
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

As you can see, the slurs in the last chord... look hideous.

Re: Slur Handling "Bug"

Reply #1
I don't see any problem wlih the ties. You can improve the clarity by making the next to bottom notes "stems down."
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
I assume you are concerned about the crossed ties on the E and F# (and that this is treble clef).

Try entering the E and the B below it without ties in this chord on this staff.  Then enter them once again in a new staff.  You can tie them now in the new staff, setting the tie direction down.  If the stems are too long, just adjust stem length in the note properties settings, and if the effect isn't quite right, try making the stem length = zero. 

Reply #3
As pointed out by other replies, these are ties rather than slurs. When you tie a bunch of chord members, some of which are only separated by an interval of a 2nd, you probably will get some overlap of the ties. It should still be clear the intent of the ties, though.

Reply #4
Hmm. Looked a lot worse in situ, than when I've now reloaded it (and forgive the naming error, it was late.)

I was getting somewhat odd spaces for the beginning and end of the tie: I still get that on the bottommost note of the chord when I paste it in - the slur is much shorter than it ought to be.

Should I get a screenshot?