Skip to main content
Topic: Triplet notation in imported MIDI (Read 5981 times) previous topic - next topic

Triplet notation in imported MIDI

When importing MIDI there seems to be a problem with triplets.  e.g: quaver triplets seem always to be interpreted as dotted semiquavers.  Anyone know any way round this (apart from doing it the hard way)?

Re: Triplet notation in imported MIDI

Reply #1
G'day Andrew,
not in NWC1, however, NWC2 is a different story...

NWC2 has a "user tools" facility and there is a user tool for just this task.  It isn't quite perfect, but it goes a loooong way to reducing the problem.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks v. much guys - already used Andrew Purdam's excellent Parts tool, so I'll give this one a whirl!

Reply #4
Just given Andrew's tool a try, and it does work, but the question remains - why isn't this core NWC functionality by now? A quick scan of the forum shows that folk have been moaning about triplet import since at least 1999...

I always import using the maximum resolutions allowed - ie 64th notes and 16th rests. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to use the default settings - why would you want to throw detail away? (I suppose there might be an argument for coarser settings if you're attempting to "quantise" a midi file produced by a live midi-keyboard-player, rather than a file produced by a different sequencer. I've never had much joy with such attempts in any case, since no keyboard player I know - including myself - can keep in tempo strictly enough to make the resultant import look other than a dog's breakfast...)

Anyway - if anyone doesn't realise the extent of the problem - just try creating a snippet using NWC2. Time signature 4-4, one bar consisting of a triplet of three crotchets (quarter notes) followed by a minim (half note). Export to a midi file and re-import using the maximum resolutions, and be prepared to chuckle at the result...

Cheers John Hinsley

Reply #5
I think that moving to version 2 and the User Tool mechanism will allow NWC to integrate a lot of tools now.
When you think about the triplet issue, there are several reasons for not doing it automatically, but I agree that an option for searching for and creating triplets upon import should be allowed. However it does get tricky with multi-voiced staves - but then that pushes NWC to the limit anyway.