Skip to main content
Topic: Midi import not working ubXP Pro doesn't let me change extensions (Read 2631 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi import not working ubXP Pro doesn't let me change extensions

I haven't written in the forum for probably more than a year. But...
I did a quick search. And didn't see the problem I'm having.
For years I've been using various programs to create midi files, including NWC.
Recently I was forced to get a new computer with XP-pro.
In regular flavor XP I could take midi files produced by another program and if NWC didn't recognize them I could change the extension to mid and all was well.
Now I can't seem to find a way to change the extension and none of my midi files are importable into NWC.
I get a MCI error message too.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Jay

Re: Midi import not working ubXP Pro doesn't let me change extensions

Reply #1
Is the extension (.mid) not visible in the file or is Windows stopping you from adding or changing it?  You may have to go into Tools-Folder Options in the folder where your MIDI files are stored and change the view options.  Look for 2 things especially here.  Click the View tab and under Hidden Files and Folders uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types" if it is checked and click the radio button "Show hidden files and folders".  Also check the box "Remember each folder's view settings".

Some Windows users set file names to display without extensions a la Mac and perhaps if extensions are not visible to you they are not available to NWC either.

HTH!

Re: Midi import not working ubXP Pro doesn't let me change extensions

Reply #2
Thanks- I'm not sure why this didn't work the first time I did it, but it didn't.
Now it does and the editing of the exe works.
Jay