Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics and ripples (Read 3949 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics and ripples

Hello Noteworthy Software Comunity, I am a new member my music contains 101 bars and the lyrics don't come until bar 89. Can somebody point me to the correct instructions, I know how to ctrl L.  Also, I'm a bit stuck my music has lots of ripples and I don't know what term to look for, in the contents index, in order to be able to insert them into the chord. Language is so tricky at times.  Appreciate your help.  ;-)

Re: Lyrics and ripples

Reply #1
...my music contains 101 bars and the lyrics don't come until bar 89. Can somebody point me to the correct instructions, I know how to ctrl L...

Each syllable of each word in your lyrics will appear when there is a note on the staff.  If you use NWC2, you can set the note properties so they don't cause a word to appear.  Highlight the notes you don't want the lyrics for (this would be all of the first 88 bars), press Control and E, and set the Lyrics Syllable option to Never

I don't know if you can do that with NWC version 1.  If not, just add a new staff, put rests for the first 88 bars, and copy the original bars #89 to #101 to the new staff.  Mute this new staff, make all the rests and bar lines in bars 1 to 88 invisible, and move it to just below the original staff.  Set the properties of the original staff to "layer with next staff" and when you "allow layering" (from the View menu), you'll see one staff superimposed over the other.

I'm a bit stuck my music has lots of ripples and I don't know what term to look for, in the contents index, in order to be able to insert them into the chord.

I think you meant "trill" when you wrote "ripples."  A trill is a quick alteration of the note with the one above it.  You would use text[glow=red,2,300]**[/glow] to make the sign, and make the staff properties for this staff "muted."  For the sound, copy everything to a new staff, which will not be displayed but which you will NOT mute, so it will play back.  When you come to the muted note, replace it with 16th or 32nd notes alternating between that note and a whole tone above it.

If you didn't mean "trill," you may have meant that strange vertical zigzag that appears beside piano chords?   I don't know the name either, but it can also be found in Boxmark2.  You would insert it as Text to the left of the chord, and in the other (playback) staff, write 32nd or 64th notes to give you the sound.

Reply #2
NWC 1.75 and such support 'Lyric Syllable, Never.' I use it a lot.
Another method is putting _ _ _ in your text, but that takes some counting.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #3
A fast way to not put a note in the first 93 measures would be to select those measueres and then Cntl E.  A Notation Properties window would open up--select the tab Notes.  On the dropdown for Lyric Syllable, choose Never.
Since 1998

Reply #4
That strange squiggly thing is called an "Arpeggio" mark.

Reply #5
Thanks, FitzClan.