Skip to main content
Topic: playing music copied onto disc (Read 4669 times) previous topic - next topic

playing music copied onto disc

I backed my music files onto a cd and when i try to open it up i recieve a message stating that this music was notated on an older version  of nwc and are not playable. I have been on ver 2 for more than a year.??? help!
                                             rik

Re: playing music copied onto disc

Reply #1
That's weird.  I just tried it myself and had no problems at all.  Opened CD, doubleclicked on file, NWC opened and played song.

Did you make the disk as a "data disk"?  You have to do this.

Reply #2
Rik
I'm not sure this will work, but if you have the older version of NWC still on your comp, right click the file from the disc > open with> NWC. Now save the file and close it. Now, as if you were going to re-open the file, display the files and right click the one you want. From the drop down list, choose "open with NWC version 2". Then save in NWC2. Make sure you have the correct folder displayed so that it will be saved in NWC2, otherwise it will be lost somewhere you may not so easily find. Hope this helps.

Reply #3
PS - If you have your original NWC disc, you can reinstall the old program and work it from there. The files must be on the CD that you made or you would not have gotten that message.

Reply #4
G'day Rik,
I backed my music files onto a cd and when i try to open it up i recieve a message stating that this music was notated on an older version  of nwc and are not playable. I have been on ver 2 for more than a year.??? help!

I confess I'm not sure what is causing this but I was under the impression that NWC would always open files from older versions...

Perhaps you could post one of the offending files as an attachment and we'll see if others are having the same problem.

If the works are such that they shouldn't be made public because of copyright restrictions etc. you could always PM me with one as an attachment instead...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Rikbel, the other folks have probably resolved your problem already, but just in case, let me ask a stupid question:

Are you sure the message said "this music was notated on an older version  of nwc" or might it have said "newer version?" 

If it said newer version, it may simply be that your file association is set to Version 1 and it's trying to open a version 2 song.  Which it can't do.

By the way, you can have both version 1 and version 2 installed at the same time.  You just need to make sure the file association is right.