Skip to main content
Topic: midi connection to my electronic keyboard (Read 4115 times) previous topic - next topic

midi connection to my electronic keyboard

I will like some help.  I connect everything was fine and but, when I play on the keyboard, nothing happen.  Like I don't see the notes been writen in the staff.  Are there any other settings that I have to check to make sure I can write songs using my own keyboard as the input?

Re: midi connection to my electronic keyboard

Reply #1
Start in NWC's Tools/Options/Midi and Record settings, see if something needs to be tweaked there.

Next, if you run Windows, you can check your sound settings.   There should be a speaker icon in the lower right corner of your screen, the system tray.  Double click it and see if there's a setting to allow digital input.  I don't have the standard configuration anymore, so I can't retrace the various small steps to follow.

If this hasn't helped you, please say so and give more information about your system and your midi keyboard.

For instance, what type of keyboard is it, is it connected by USB or midi cable, what soundcard do you have?

For your operating system - Windows, what version?  Other operating system?

Someone with a similar setup might be able to help you better than I can.

Don't forget the little things like checking to make sure the keyboard is turned on, or that you've run the setup program if it came with one. 

If all else fails, go to your desktop, press F1, and see if the troubleshooting wizard helps.

Reply #2
G'day Liz,
there's already a lot of info on the forum regarding this kind of difficulty.  Perhaps a search will reveal the solution you need.

If you start here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwcforum/search.php?type=msgtext&term=midi+keyboard+cable
you will find a lot of topics that already cover this issue.

That link is to the old forum.  On the new forum, if you put the following search terms into the search field in the title frame you will get the same topics in a different format, you will probably get a few more too as well as replies that were made after the forum changeover.  The terms are: midi keyboard cable

One quick question does spring to mind...  Are you remembering to press the "record" button in NWC before you start playing the keyboard?

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Also, don't forget to create a "click-track" to use while recording.  From the NWC help file, "Recording is only possible when a score is open and is playing. If the current song is only three bars in length, then starting a recording will only allow up to three bars to be recorded. This is because recording and play back will both stop when the current song play back is finished."

I usually just create a staff with local repeats set to 200 measures or something like that, with a channel 10 click on each beat, and the appropriate tempo set.  That helps the recording stay close to in-time, but I find I still need to clean it up afterwards, for those notes I didn't hit exactly on the beat.

I also usually include a 2 bar count in to get the tempo set in my head.  I've attached a sample file that will let you record 8+ minutes.

- John
John