Skip to main content
Topic: wangchung (Read 3524 times) previous topic - next topic

wangchung

does anyone know of a way to separate beaming in between staffs in a score? meaning when you go to staff properties and then style and you say orchestral making it so that it doesnt connect with the staff on top, only on the bottom or vice versa. thanks

Re: wangchung

Reply #1
G'day wangchung,

does anyone know of a way to separate beaming in between staffs in a score? meaning when you go to staff properties and then style and you say orchestral making it so that it doesnt connect with the staff on top, only on the bottom or vice versa. thanks

If you do a search of the forum I seem to recall there are a couple of discussions that touch on this, but from memory there are a couple of methods that can help.  These techniques will not stop the initial connected barline (the one at the very start of the systems, before your clefs etc.) and the second will result in small gaps in it.

1) In those sections where you want a break use upper and lower grand staff.  Upper grand only has the barlines reaching downwards while lower only has them going up.  Any staves between them, even when set to orchestral will not join the barlines.  To overcome this you can use layered staves set to orchestral containing hidden whole rests and visible barlines.

2) use an empty staff set to a highligh colour that is configured to white as a separator.  Adjust the number of staff lines towhatever suits, perhaps 1 and adjust the upper and lower size to suit.  This will result in a gap the width of the upper and lower size settings in the initial barline.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
does anyone know of a way to separate beaming in between staffs in a score?

Try this:

Set all staffs to Style = Orchestral.

Wherever you want to break to give a visual separation in your score, such as between instrumental groups, simply:

• Add a new staff with Ending Bar = Open, Style = Standard.(you don't need to put any notes or rests or other markings on this staff
  • Move it immediately below the last staff of an instrument group.
  • Set the last staff of the instrument group to Layer with Next Staff.
  • Toggle on Allow Layering.

You will see I've put this new staff just below the reeds in the attached file, and layered the last reed part over top of it.  Disable layering, and move the new staff up or down the page to see it work.

Reply #3
thanks a million david. that makes my score look so much better. :)

Reply #4
My pleasure.

Reply #5
Nice one David, I like your method much better than the couple I came up with.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.