Skip to main content
Topic: Entering chord (Read 4310 times) previous topic - next topic

Entering chord

I used the searchfunction but couldn't find an answer to my 'problem'.

I want to enter a chord with a 1/1 C, a 1-1 A above it and a 1-2 E inbetween. This clashes with the rule that no chord members with opposing stem direction can be entered, even if a 1/1 note doesn't have a stem at all...

Can anyone help me with this?

Bart, The Netherlands

Re: Entering chord

Reply #1
A whole note has a stem direction even though it doesn't have a stem.

You can only achieve what you want by using layering unless you tie two half notes to make one of the whole notes.

But layering is the way to go. I just wish we could have a "floating layer" so that we could have just a single measure layer rather than the whole staff up to the point you need the layer.
Rich.

Reply #2
I just wish we could have a "floating layer" so that we could have just a single measure layer rather than the whole staff up to the point you need the layer.

Hear, hear!

Reply #3
A whole note has a stem direction even though it doesn't have a stem.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll try forcing the stem direction first.  If all stems point the same way (even the non-existing ones) it may work??
I'm in my office now, will try at home tonight.

Bart

Reply #4
Sorry Bart, it won't work.

This would be the same as having 2 half notes with a quarter note in between. No matter what direction you put the stems, it just won't do it.

Your only options are layering or splitting and tieing one of the larger duration notes.

tieing method :
d_d
d
O

Rich.

Reply #5
Hi Bart,
Whereabouts in the Netherlands do you live?
Just curious. I'm from Maarssen.
cheers,
Rob.
btw, always trust Rich. He knows the score ;-)

Reply #6
Sorry Bart, it won't work.

This would be the same as having 2 half notes with a quarter note in between. No matter what direction you put the stems, it just won't do it.

Your only options are layering or splitting and tieing one of the larger duration notes.

tieing method :
d_d
d
O

I tried forcing the stem directions, but you are right: it doesn't work... I'll try layering.

Hi Bart,
Whereabouts in the Netherlands do you live?
[..]

I live in Hoorn (NH), about 40 km north of Amsterdam.

Reply #7
I put a request for a floating layer into the official wish list. It could solve many difficulties.

Tony