Here are some of my compositions!!!!
1)Happiness
2)Spring Renewal
3)Josh's Polka
You know, I am [glow=red,2,300]Josh, The Magnificent Composer[/glow]
joshers2005

Re: Attach is back???

Reply #1
Eric...I have a question..Wil you make a section in this forum where we can attach NWC or NWC2 files to show everyone our dandy work???? And if there is..It would be smart to allow member to ONLY attach them in that section of the forum. :-)
joshers2005

Reply #3
Hey guess what else??
Eric...This attach option is also good because I no longer have to E-mail just Richard Woodroffe or David Palmquist nwc or nwc2 files I need help with!!!! I can use the help of approx. 250 poeple instead of 2!!!!!! Due to that I now can attach the NWC files!!!!!!!!
joshers2005

Reply #4
I am still trying to figure out how to attach!

Reply #6
I have Noteworthy 1.75a at home, and I have downloaded the upgrade to 1.75b just now to bring home today. See, the problem is my computer at home is not connected to the Internet. Can I still get test the beta version?

Reply #8
Wow!
You should have named all three "Happiness".
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #9
I don't understand how to use the attach function. Can someone explain it with a little more clarity than the help file?

Reply #10
G'day fitzclan,

I don't understand how to use the attach function. Can someone explain it with a little more clarity than the help file?

When creating a message, click the "Additional Options..." link to the bottom left of the edit window.

It will open up to give you tick boxes for:
  • Notify me of replies.
  • Return to this topic.
  • Don't use smileys. (seems redundant as we don't have 'em anyway)

AND an editable field with a browse button for including attachments.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
Interestingly, I had to rename the files when downloaded, to make them playable in NWC

Tony

O Sacred Head Now Wounded

Reply #13
G'day Duncan,
man, that's a lovely piece.  Would you permit it to be performed?

I'd have to approach our musical director of course but I think it would be well received as an item.

Reply #14
That was wonderful.  I would love permission to work it up for my praise band at church.  We do the traditional version quite often, but I would love being able to take these great lyrics and present them in a more modern setting.  Either way, thanks for this great version.

- John
John

Reply #15
Well Lawrie and John, I'm flattered that you would want to use my piece. I would more than happy to give both of you permission to use it in your services. I hate to see it sitting on my computer doing nothing at all! Thanks for the encouragement!

Reply #16
G'day Duncan,
thankyou!

*ping* Duncan - RE: O Sacred Head Now Wounded

Reply #17
G'day Duncan,
had a bit of a jam with a couple of guys last night and trotted out "O Sacred Head Now Wounded".

Mike on Drums, me playing melody on Flugel (and Trom for the second go at it), Nick coasting along on Guitar (by ear, doesn't read music and I haven't worked out the chords yet) and the NWC file playing (the Yamaha is such a lovely synth) on the PC.

Was very nice - went down quite well.

I've spoken to our musical director and we will have a squizz at it on Tuesday night.

Reply #18
Hey Lawrie,
I'm excited! And I must say honored. I heard the copy you sent. Looks like you were up late. Sounds nice. It looks like we have a time difference as I'm in New York. I really have to run as I'm already late for work. Talk to you later. Thanks again and God Bless!
Duncan

Re: O Sacred Head Now Wounded

Reply #19
G'day Duncan,
I'm 14 hrs ahead of you, so it wasn't that late, only about 7PM local time.

I'm glad you liked the "rough"...  Hopefully the band can do it justice for you.

Blessya mate,
Lawrie

Reply #20
I've come across a problem with attached files. When I download and open, the original NWC program starts and I get a message that the file can't be opened because it was produced on a later version.  Then I have to download to floppy, and from there open with>>>NWC2. Is there some reason that the NWC2 doesn't automatically come into play?

Reply #21
Sounds like you haven't got NoteWorthy Viewer installed.

This clever bit of programming takes over opening duties. If you click on an NWC2 file it sends it to NWC2. If you click on an NWC 1 file it sends it to NWC 1.

And you never see the viewer load either !

Rich.

Reply #22
Hey Rich,
Thanks for your reply. Actually I do have NWC Viewer inatalled and I updated it recently because the one it would not open a file I created in NWC2 after downloading an upgrade in the version. I would think that what you are saying is correct, but it doesn't seem to work that way. At least not for me.  There was another comment from someone else (Josh the M?) recently who said that he had to rename the files in order for NWC to open them. I'm not sure what he meant by that. I would think that as long as it has an .nwc or .mid extension it should open right? Anyway, its not really a big deal. I can still open the attachments, it just takes an extra step.

Reply #23
Anyway, its not really a big deal. I can still open the attachments, it just takes an extra step.

Yeah - but .....    Don't like that. It should work.  Sounds like your system has got messed up a bit. If I had that problem, I would uninstall NWC 2, uninstall the viewer, make sure that NWC 1 files open properly at this point. Then re-install NWC2 and then the viewer. Make sure you have the 1.75 CD and your reg etc .

But before taking this sort of action, you may want to shoot off an enquiry to NoteWorthy Support. They may be able to fix the problem by asking you a few questions about settings on your system.

Rich.

Reply #24
I'll try that. Thanks.

Reply #25
Hey Lawrie,
You know I'm chomping at the bit at this point! How did your "squizz" (new word for me), go on Tuesday?

Reply #26
G'day Duncan,
unfortuantely we were having some troublems with getting things right on the pieces we are playing on Sunday and ran out of time.  I was somewhat frustrated but could not do anything about it.

Sorry I can't give you better news at this stage.

Given that our band AND a reasonable proportion of our congregation are relatively young I will probably need to "modernise" the lyric slightly...  You know, convert "thee" to "you" etc.  I think I can manage it without losing anything.  May also not need to ...  Will wait and see.  I've also been working out the chords so our guitarist can play it (think I've got 'em right, mainly F's, F7's and Bb's?).

We will not be able to reproduce your lovely sound as we do not have the musicians to do it.  We can, and will, add our own flavour, as we do with everything we play, and I'm pretty sure you'll like the result.  Our biggest drawback at this stage is that our keyboard player is not a pianist by any means though she is trying hard.  Only 14, never had formal tuition and would rather play guitar...  She does good under the circs.  Our guitarist has no "lead" skills... YET!  Bass player is great, drummer is very good but doesn't read music, flautist is still working on her skills and moi on trom and flugel.  I'm not too bad but never seem to get enough practice in :(

We have some very good vocals and I think you'll appreciate them.  I'll probably support the melody on flugel unless I need to try to pick up some of the piano left hand on the trom.  Won't know 'til we have a go.

Just gotta get it looked at properly!

Reply #27
Wow! Your life sounds a lot like mine.  Nothing  goes as planned. I used to get all bent out of shape over the like, but it never made anything better, so...! Sounds like you have a fine group. Whenever you get to it will be more than fine.
By the way, I heard you talking to someone about the french horn, and you were saying that the available horn synths or sound fonts ( I don't know the difference), were not so good. I think that one of the problems with them is that they don't come across so well on the pc as they do on a keyboard synthesizer simply because on the keyboard, you have built in dynamics that are hard to reproduce when notationg for playback by a computer. What is written is for the performer to interpret. As you know, every performer will have his own style and interpretaiton of any piece. The same synth or sound-font that is used on say a Yamaha pc sound card is probably used on their synthesizer, but the difference is in the performance. I have written a piece called "Thank You Jesus", (lyrics by one of our teens), with horns in it. I (not being a horn player), would probably not know on hearing it that it is not a real horn.
I would send it to you but I don't know how! (Not the most computer literate). It is in mp3 form and I don't think that is one of the file types allowed as an attachment on the forum. I know that you sent me an MP3, but I don't remember how.
Anyway, thank you for all your effort so far. - D.

Reply #28
Wow! Your life sounds a lot like mine.  Nothing  goes as planned. I used to get all bent out of shape over the like, but it never made anything better, so...! Sounds like you have a fine group. Whenever you get to it will be more than fine.

I'm trying to improve on that...  Plans MUST go ahead... <mumble, mumble> ...best laid plans of mice and men... <grumble, mumble>  :)

Yeah, they're a good a bunch and love the Lord heaps!

By the way, I heard you talking to someone about the french horn, and you were saying that the available horn synths or sound fonts ( I don't know the difference), were not so good. I think that one of the problems with them is that they don't come across so well on the pc as they do on a keyboard synthesizer simply because on the keyboard, you have built in dynamics that are hard to reproduce when notationg for playback by a computer. What is written is for the performer to interpret. As you know, every performer will have his own style and interpretaiton of any piece. The same synth or sound-font that is used on say a Yamaha pc sound card is probably used on their synthesizer, but the difference is in the performance.

My biggest complaint is that, aside from the obvious efforts involved in getting dynamics etc. correct the vast majority of brass patches I've had access just don't have the right sound.  You know, timbre, attack etc..  It's really a function of the original samples and how they've been processed, the looping etc..  That said, the Yamaha French Horn patch is very good, best horn I've heard.  But the rest of the brass is lacking in various degrees.  This is, of course, purely subjective... :)

I have written a piece called "Thank You Jesus", (lyrics by one of our teens), with horns in it. I (not being a horn player), would probably not know on hearing it that it is not a real horn.

I would send it to you but I don't know how! (Not the most computer literate). It is in mp3 form and I don't think that is one of the file types allowed as an attachment on the forum. I know that you sent me an MP3, but I don't remember how.

I'd posted it on my web server and sent you a link.  I did this because I didn't know what limits you had on your connection speed and attachment sizes.

If you want to send me an mp3, I'll send you a PM with my email details.  I don't want the addy to get around too much as I already get more spam than I'm happy about...

Anyway, thank you for all your effort so far. - D.

Absolutely my pleasure mate.