Skip to main content
Topic: icons (Read 7474 times) previous topic - next topic

icons

how can I change the icons of nwc files ?
The usual way doesn't work. When I right click on a file/properties, I don't see change icon.
I'd want to change nwc1.75 files and put another for nwc2 files.
is it possible ?

Thanks

Joseph

Re: icons

Reply #2
It must be possible somehow - I have seen different icons for XML files - they even open different applications. All you need to do is find out how - and I'm sure it involves a) fiddling with the registry, and b) Knowing technical differences between the two file formats (and since they're compressed, it might be awkward).
Robin

Reply #3
Tina,
Very nice signature!
How did you do that?

Profile Options

Reply #5
Please keep in mind that this option is currently only available to Virtuosos. It will be available to NWC2 beta testers later this week.

Reply #6
It must be possible somehow - I have seen different icons for XML files - they even open different applications. All you need to do is find out how - and I'm sure it involves a) fiddling with the registry, and b) Knowing technical differences between the two file formats (and since they're compressed, it might be awkward).

Normally, in windows, a document file is given the icon of the application that opens it.  This is dictated by the file association in the registry and is a function of the filename's extension.

If however, you create a "shortcut" to the document file then the option to change the icon becomes available...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Thanks, Tina, I suspected that was the case.
If only I had a web site to place an image...

Reply #8
[If only I had a web site to place an image...quote][/quote]

KAT, does your ISP not provide you with a certain amount of webspace?  If so, put it there. 

Reply #9
They claimed to provide a page, but that turned out to be different from what was expected.  That was a few years ago that I tried it.  Maybe I should look in to it again...

Reply #10
It doesn't necessarily have to be a page.  The space on the server is just like a folder on your hard drive, except it sits on the hard drive of your ISP's server instead of your hard drive.  Give them a call, and ask them how to get to it.  Probably there will be a folder set aside for you whose name beegins with ftp://

Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, open a second window.  Type your path name into the address bar of one of the windows, and then just drag the image from one window to the other.

Remember the address and filename, and make it known to those you'd like to have view the image.  Or link to it from here to make it the icon under discussion, I guess..

You can easily make your own webpage.  Microsoft Frontpage will do it for you.  I find Webnotepad is very convenient.  It's freeware available here:  http://www.digicraft.com.au/webnotepad/

To learn the basics of creating a web page, go to http://www.draac.com

Reply #11
First, try if you can put a file on the server, in your own space.
Get an ftp program, and check if you have what you need to put files on the server:
- the IP address
- you username and password
That should be enough to get you started. If you want a very simple page to show that it actually works, AND points to your graphics file, try this:

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<a href="MyIcon.gif">See? There's the icon!</A>
</body>
</html>

Save this as  index.html
and transfer both index.html and the graphics file onto the server.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #14
Hey !

The question is: can I change the icon of a nwc file ?

It seems that it is possible only with a shortcut. Right ? That's a shame !

jg

Reply #15

It seems that it is possible only with a shortcut. Right ? That's a shame !

It's a Windows thing...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #16
You can do a long extension and redo all your associations, but it is not really worth it.
Easier by far to put your 1.75b in a separate folder.
Registered user since 1996