Skip to main content
Topic: "Insert Dynamic" bug report: (Read 7303 times) previous topic - next topic

"Insert Dynamic" bug report:

When doing "Insert Dynamic" I found that returning to the command window the last selected notation (fortissimo, for example) didn't hold and neither did it default to a standard selection. Instead I never could predict what dynamic would be highlighted, so I almost always had to pull down the menu and reselect even when I tried to do repetitive inserts of the same dynamic to save strokes.

Re: "Insert Dynamic" bug report:

Reply #1
I believe that it picks up the last used dynamic on the staff that you are on.  So if you insert dynamic f  on the treble staff and then move to the alto clef, it will not default to dynamic f unless the previous dynamic on the alto clef was also f.  But repeated dynamic inserts on the same stave retain the previously used dynamic.

(At least in my NWC2, that's what seems to happen)
Rich.

Reply #2
When doing "Insert Dynamic" I found that returning to the command window the last selected notation (fortissimo, for example) didn't hold and neither did it default to a standard selection.

Much easier and quicker to use the mouse and select the one you want from the toolbar. (I've never used the 'insert' menu for this.)

Reply #3
If you always want a newly inserted item to look like the last item that you inserted, then make sure to disable Tools, Options, Editor, Smart Properties Insert. Note that using the Quick Insert tools will still use many elements of the smart insert function, even with this setting off.

Reply #4
...and finally, using the keyboard shortcut to insert dynamic may be more convenient.  Just press D when you're on a staff. 

Reply #5
The simplest way to do repetitive inserts of the same dynamic is to just use copy and paste. This also has the advantage of retaining any special formatting you've done to it (such as making invisible dynamics for controlling crescendos/diminuendos). Works across staves or even across files, and all you need is one control-c plus a bunch of control-v's.

Reply #6
Thanks for all your replies, I now have a number of different ways of getting the job done. My report was just a comment on how "unreliable" the process seemed to me: I seldom got the expected setting back when Inserting and always had to jump around, making more keystrokes necessary.

Frank