Skip to main content
Topic: Staff Sizing/Formatting (Read 3394 times) previous topic - next topic

Staff Sizing/Formatting

Is there a way to alter the width and height of a one line score?  I do liturgical re-writes for my parish and the staff needs to be stretched some in order to fill the space allocated in the bulletin. I've tried adjusting the staff properties to no avail.  I read here something about this a few years ago, but didn't write the solution down.

Been a registered user of NWC for over two years now - still exploring and learning all there is to know about this wonderful music notation software.

Re: Staff Sizing/Formatting

Reply #1
F2 Staff Properties will not change the size of the staff, only how much vertical space is allotted to it on the page before items belonging to the next higher or lower staff are laid out on the page.  This is done on the Visual tab-Vertical Size, Upper and Lower.  To change the size of the staff, go to File-Page Setup.  Click on the Options tab.  "Staff size (in points)" is the value to increase to make the staff bigger both vertically and horizontally at once.  It may also be useful to make sure the box is checked for "Increase note spacing for larger durations"  Also make sure the box is checked for "Extend last system".  I think this will solve your problem.

Reply #2
Another tip in addition to the previous reply is to add a section close on the top staff of the very last measure. Then highlight the section close and go to its properties (ALT ENTER). Check the Force system break on the dialogue box presented.  This will have the effect of equally spacing the remaining last few measures across the width of the page. The additional section break will not show.

Rich.

Reply #3
Whereas:

• "Extend Last System" produces a (usually) ugly result that no one seems to like,
  • the workaround with "Force System Break" on a section close is a commonly recommended kludgetechnique,

I humbly recommend that the developer(s) consider making "Extend Last System" function the preferred way:  instead of merely lengthening the last measure, make all the measures on the last system the same width.  No need for users to seek out the "expert advice", then.

Perhaps in a future revision?

- seb