Skip to main content
Topic: Numbering Lyric Lines (Read 4133 times) previous topic - next topic

Numbering Lyric Lines

Does anyone have a better way of numbering lines of Lyrics than this example:  {1.)First word of lyric}?  I have tried numerous ways, but the above seems to be the only solution.  The problem I have is that i staggers the text, rather than alligning everything neatly.  I am open to amy suggestions.  Thanks.

Ed D.

Re: Numbering Lyric Lines

Reply #1
You don't say which version of NoteWorthy you are using.
If you are using 2, then there is a good work around. Do the following

Before the first note in the first measure, enter a headless whole note grace note.
This will be entirely invisible. Highlight the invisible grace note (!!!!) then go to it's properties (ALT ENTER). Select muted. Select Lyric Syllable Always.

Now go back to your lyrics and put a space between the 1.) and the first word of the lyrics. The 1.) will now be centred with the invisible headless muted whole grace note leaving the first word of the lyrics to be centred with the first proper note.

Version 1.75 and before is a different matter. Would suggest perhaps inserting text for the verse numbers rather than putting the numbers in the lyrics.

Rich.

Reply #2
Thanks Rich. That worked.  However, I did learn that the grace note did not have to be a whole note. Any duration note will work. I never knew about the alt-enter function.  I do now. After using NWC for all of these years, it's still great to learn something new about it's functionality. Thanks again.

Rusty

Reply #3
With either version you can tie a grace note to the first note. Set both notes to "Lyric Always". Set Visibility on the grace note to "Never".  This will keep playback and midi export intact. Be careful "auditing accidentals".
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Rusty,
Alt-Enter works in more programs. However, its (*) effects can be quite surprising. Try entering some text in Word, and then hitting Alt-Enter. Weird... but it could be useful.
In Excel, it changes the behaviour of the Enter-key: it goes to a new line without leaving the cell.
So there is not really a standard... but I definite like the way Noteworthy defined its usage.
Rob.

(I spotted "it's" twice in this thread, in a possessive sense. I tried to offset it by using "its" twice. Without this explanation, I would have succeeded.)

Reply #5
(I spotted "it's" twice in this thread, in a possessive sense. I tried to offset it by using "its" twice. Without this explanation, I would have succeeded.)

Aghhhhhh  -  I HATE that - and to find out I did it . Sackcloth and ashes.  - no excuses for that, even if I was rushing to go out.
Rich.

Reply #6
Another thing you can also do is to select the lyric option of "start of accidental/note", rather than "standard rules".  This forces all lyrics to the beginning of the note (including the effect of lining up the lyric numbers using the "1._Lyric" method.  But of course, you may not like all the other lyrics ling up, rather then being centered, on the notes.  Just a matter of preference - I guess that's why we get the choice.

-- John
John

Reply #7
Well, Rich, let't be fair. Throw away the sackcloth, bin the ashes: you have used it's twice, and one of them rightly so.
You really brightened the end of my week with your reaction - and I was in sore need of that.
Thanks!
Rob.