Skip to main content
Topic: Oddest bug.... (Read 10653 times) previous topic - next topic

Oddest bug....

I'm getting the oddest bug with a composition: The volume of the Pizzacatto strings sometimes, when I play it repeatedly, starts off with no volume then gradually comes back, but there's no crescendo and only a forte marking. What's going on?

Re: Oddest bug....

Reply #1
G'day Adam,
what synth are you using?  If it uses soundfonts, does your sound font have a problem with this "instrument"?

To test a bit further, assuming you are using soundfonts, try a different sound font, or even a different synth - if you have XP I'm fairly sure you have an MS soft synth you could use to test with.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
...That went RIGHT over my head.

Reply #3
G'day again Adam,
lets start out slow then:
  • What sound card are you using?  AND
  • In NWC2, go to |Tools|Options|Midi tab|.  What is listed in "Devices used by playback"?

When you have these answers, I'll have an idea what to ask next.

To explain a bit, output from NWC is in the form of MIDI commands.  These are directed to a MIDI playback device, usually a MIDI Synth(esizer) that is part of your sound card (or possibly a "soft synth" or software synthesizer), but it could also be a MIDI port to allow you to connect a MIDI keyboard or other external device.

In this case, I expect the output to go to an onboard synth on your sound card.  Now, in order for the synth to synthesize the sounds you want to hear, it must have some form of data to tell it how to create the sounds.  In many modern sound cards, you need to load a "sound font" which is a database of information that allows this synthesis to take place.  Normally this load is automatic during installation of the sound card's software but can be changed later.

It is entirely possible that the soundfont in use (if indeed this is the kind of synth you have) has faulty data for Pizzicato strings, it is also possible that your NWC.ITREE has an incorrect mapping... But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.  If you can answer the above 2 questions we'll see where we can go from there...

Reply #4
Device used by playback is "Microsoft Midi Mapper"

I also appear to have a SigmaTel C-Major Audio  Sound gard, I think, though I recently had a major comptuter crash and it's possible that Control Panel speaks falsely.

Reply #5
G'day Adam,
The sound card appears to be an integrated "AC97" device on the motherboard from what I can find quickly...  It probably does not have a hardware synth nor sound font capability.

Anyway, now we can try a test.

Assuming you are running Windows XP...

In NWC2, if you go back to:
|Tools|Options|Midi tab|
Only now check to see if you have listed in your "Available play devices" a device called "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth".  If you have double click on it.  This will place it in your "Devices used by play back" list.  Next double click the "Microsoft MIDI Mapper".  This will move the MIDI mapper back into the available list.

Once you've done that please try a playback of your suspect Pizzicato Strings and let me know if there is a change.

Again, assuming you are running Windows XP...

One other thing you could check... In "Control Panel" you have a "Sounds and Audio Devices" applet.  Run this and select the "Audio" tab.  The bottom section will show your "MIDI music playback" device.  This device is what MIDI mapper points to.  The above suggestion assumes that the device listed here is NOT the "Microsoft GS wavetable SW synth"

Please let us know how you get on.

Reply #6
Hmm. So far seems to work, but like all intermittent bugs, it's hard to be sure.

Reply #7
G'day Adam,
was the MIDI mapper pointing to the MS Synth or to something else?

Reply #8
Using the synth this time.

Reply #9
G'day Adam,
sorry, didn't make myself clear.

Could you go to control panel, click "Sounds and Audio Devices", select the "Audio" tab.  At the bottom you will see a section that will show your "MIDI music playback" device.  This device is what MIDI mapper points to.

What is this device please?

Reply #10
G'day all,
for those that are interested and didn't already know...

In WinXP (not sure about other versions though I have seen reference to it in '98 articles) there is a "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth".  This is a softsynth (duh) that uses a wavetable licenced from Roland, it is just over 3 Mb and is from the Roland Sound Canvas stable.  The file is called gm.dls and is accompanied by gmreadme.txt which is the copyright notice.

While not up to the standard of the Yamaha Y-SXG50 softsynth I usually use (IMHO), it's not too bad.  It is certainly worth consideration if you have a soundcard that does not support soundfonts and funds are a bit short...

Reply #11
How Do Lawrie;

You are correct that the Microsoft wavetable is available on windows 98SE and if memory serves me correctly also on the original 98. I agree with your opinion on the Yamaha soft synth. I had it on an HP machine I had at one time and I loved it. Was actually the best thing about that system.

Y'all Have a great day
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #12
G'day Adam,
sorry, didn't make myself clear.

Could you go to control panel, click "Sounds and Audio Devices", select the "Audio" tab.  At the bottom you will see a section that will show your "MIDI music playback" device.  This device is what MIDI mapper points to.

What is this device please?

Confusingly, it's Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.

...Don't ask me why it works fine when directly called, but not obliquely.

Reply #13
G'day Adam,
Confusingly, it's Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.

...Don't ask me why it works fine when directly called, but not obliquely.

hmm, I'll stand confused with everyone else...

Oh well, I'm glad it's now working for you.