Skip to main content
Topic: OT: Acrobat Reader not installing... (Read 6503 times) previous topic - next topic

OT: Acrobat Reader not installing...

This is quite a ways off topic, but I thought that maybe someone on the forum could help.

I'm trying to download Acrobat Reader 6.0.1, considering right now we have a very old version (4.0). I downloaded the program and tried to install it, but my computer won't install it. It gets to the Setup Wizard, then a box pops up that says "Windows Installer". It runs for a couple of seconds, then closes, and nothing is downloaded. Anyone have any clue what to do? I'm running Windows 98SE. That's about all I've got for you. ;-) Sorry.

Thanks,

Daniel

Re: OT: Acrobat Reader not installing...

Reply #1
Maybe you have to un-install the Version 4.0 first, but why we need version 6 I don't know, I still use 4.0 on some PCs and 5.0 on others.

Reply #2
G'day Daniel,
got a couple of things to try...

First, if you check out the steps in my reply to David in https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4967.msg31032#msg31032 you will find a series of steps that can effectively "health check" your system as it stands and do some obscure repairs.  Read and understand the process first, if you are unsure, leave me a note an I'll try to simplify things.

I would then go to this location:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292539
on the microsoft support site and download the latest installer for 9x.

If all goes well, you should be right.

PS. I just visited the Adobe support site - quick stop only.  It seems the current reader is version 7 - perhaps the v6 installer is not working because it can't locate the v6 install set on the adobe site, or have you downloaded the full install?

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks for the advice, Lawrie. I've downloaded the Windows Installer and am just about to install it and see if everything goes well. I am NOT going to try the other tip that you gave, as I am notorious for messing things like that up. Our computer recently crashed and we had to re-install Windows 98SE...because of me. I'm not going to take a chance in case I would mess something up. But thanks for the advice, anyway...

And llucyy, yes, version 4.0 works fine, I just like the features and look of the newer versions. :-)

Thanks,

Daniel

Reply #4
:-) The Windows Installer worked. :-)

Thanks so much,

Daniel

Reply #5
No worries Daniel,
I'll probaly be online for the next hour or so, so please let me know how things go...

Lawrie

Reply #6
Heh...2 seconds apart? That was neat.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Reply #7
Ha, I posted, refreshed and your post beat me by 2 seconds!

Glad it worked OK.

Lawrie

Reply #8
This is gettin' silly :)

Reply #9
Yes, but it's amusing after a tough night. :-)

Thanks once again for the help,

Daniel

Reply #10
Amusing it is.  If you've had a tough night, I prescribe a good nights sleep!

cul8r
Lawrie

Reply #11
If I was you I wouldn't use Acrobat reader anyway. It is a terrible case of bloatware and litters you disk and registry, and (as a result, presumably) is slow.
May I suggest an alternative the excellent Foxit Reader? Its free, small (single 2.5MB file), fast, and can even be run standalone (e.g. from a USB stick) without installation.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Reply #12
I just tried out the Foxit Reader. Excellent!
- Starts fast
- When in 'hand tool', scrolling works as it should, cursor keys work properly
- No problems with skipping from page to page
- It's on my stick.
Thanks! Rob.