Skip to main content
Topic: High CPU Usage (Read 10915 times) previous topic - next topic

High CPU Usage

I've started using NWC 1.75b on my new 3Ghz, 1GB, WinXP computer. When I playback the CPU usage goes >50% for NWC. This is a major problem 'cause I'm using it in conjunction with Emulator X which is known to be a resource hog.

This seems strange because i used to run v 1.5 on my Win95 machine, which didn't have anywhere near the resources that my new machine has, yet it ran O.K.

Any ideas on why NWC 1.75b's CPU usage is so high?

Thanks,
RH

Re: High CPU Usage

Reply #1
Hi Rich,
I'm out of time at the moment or I'd look for the links, but there is discussion on that very topic elsewhere, either on this forum or on the NG - not sure which.

Try doing a search from the Search field at the top right of this page or the search link from the links at top centre - they are subtly different searches I believe.

IIRC it's something to do with the note chasing and has been altered in NWC2...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
The note chasing is what is causing the high CPU usage.  I play NWC and all my MIDI apps through a Yamaha SoftSynth, and even though softsynths typically take up much CPU power, when using the Yamaha alone to play a MIDI file the CPU usage is typically below 25%.  If I turn off the note-chasing in NWC the CPU usage is similar to running the Yamaha alone.

Reply #3
Milton is correct. NWC2 includes a new play method that reduces CPU load. In NWC1, you can turn off the note chase feature from Tools, Options, Editor, Chase playing notes in order to reduce CPU load.