Skip to main content
Topic: feature request: entering notes with the mouse (Read 31044 times) previous topic - next topic

feature request: entering notes with the mouse

Why can't you enter notes with the mouse in NWC? This feature exists in most notation software, but why not NWC?

Re: feature request: entering notes with the mouse

Reply #1
You can.

Reply #2
Not like the way in Finale though... That feature is even in Finale Notepad, and many others...

Reply #3
Not like the way in Finale though...

That is thankfully true - Finale is a right royal pain to use in comparison to NWC.

Reply #4
NWC has a long term strategy of preventing RSI claims ;-)
Seriously, entering notes with the keyboard is far, far quicker and more accurate. Why copy a bad thing?

Reply #5
Why couldn't I right-click when I used Mac? ... etc. That's just the way it is.

Reply #6
THE MOUSE IS EVIL!

Just use the keyboard.

Reply #7
<snigger, snigger>
Do you know what a GUI was called before MS got to it?

The [abbr=the ones who invented it!]boys[/abbr] at Xerox PARC and Apple called it a WIMP interface - Windows, Icons, Mouse and Pull down menus.

I think its still a good name... :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Hang on, now. It's not a Keyboard against Mouse War. Compare it with Word and Excel: it is possible to use Word as a spreadsheet, and it is possible to use Excel as a word processor.
The best solution is: use each where it performs best. I have seen an Autocad user, using the tablet to enter text - with the mouse!
When you are using Noteworthy, use the keyboard, 90 - 98 % of the time, and use the mouse if you have to. When you are using Paint Shop Pro, other way around.

Reply #9
It's OK Rob, I agree.

The right tool for the job every time.  I just couldn't resist stirrin' the pot a little :)

Reply #10
Not like the way in Finale though...

That is thankfully true - Finale is a right royal pain to use in comparison to NWC.
---------------------------------------------------
You're right. In Finale and most other notation software, it's impossible to enter notes like the way in NWC. It's one of the best features of NWC.

Reply #11
NWC has a long term strategy of preventing RSI claims ;-
Seriously, entering notes with the keyboard is far, far quicker and more accurate. Why copy a bad thing?)
Because sometimes it could be very useful.

Reply #12
Because sometimes it could be very useful

Not if we lost current mouse functionality as a result - a very real risk!

Reply #13
I've tried many other notation and composing programs. Using the keyboard to enter notes is one of the main reasons I like NWC the most. Trying to enter an E three lines above the treble clef with the mouse is frusterating (VERY frusterating). But if you really think entering notes with the mouse is easier for you, go ahead and use the other programs.

Reply #14
Frustra = Latin for 'in vain'. Hence 'frustrating'. Frusterating sounds charming, though. Something like flustered with frustration.
And yes, I'll stick to the keyboard (not literally). We have four cats at home, and no mouse is safe. One cat even fetches fluffy mice, so we can throw 'em across the room again.

Reply #15
Maybe "flusterated" would be even better!

Reply #16
OK, so I made a spelling mistake. But the point is, the mouse sucks. Keyboard rules. End of story.

Reply #17
Don't apologise, you just gave some of our lingi-humorists an excuse to riff.

Reply #18
What Cyril said. 'sides, I like Robin's "flusterated".  Some of my customers make me feel _very_ flusterated  :)

Reply #19
...so does trying to use the Finale user interface.  That was Finale's grand finale as far as I am concerned  :)

Reply #20
I have just 1 cat, and she's not interested in my mouse.
She likes to jump onto my desk and walk over my keyboard
when I'm working on my computer.
Is'nt that  just mlùlmlùmlk;ùml;qdqlsmd,flkqflfq frusterating!?

Reply #21
Our heaviest of cats, named Ember, has a habit of walking on the bed in the morning. My wife could call her Bladderwalker ;-)
Ember really makes you get up and go.

Reply #22
Mousing in the leger lines is easier if you use a larger staff size (*say 16?) or increase the zoom level, and if you use a layered staff as a place holder.  Setting the number of lines in the layered staff and making it a different colour gives you an easy reference to the vertical position of the notes you enter.  Delete the placeholder when you're finished.

I think note entry is simply a doubleclick, but since I'm keyboard oriented, I could be wrong.

Reply #23
"I think note entry is simply a doubleclick, but since I'm keyboard oriented, I could be wrong."

[The whole room gasps and looks at David.]

Actually, you are very close, David, and now I can give !ME! a better answer.
You can do note entry by
1) Right-click where you want to go
2) Left-click Note (the top of the context menu)

You can also enter Rests, Chord Members, Barlines and a host of other goodies. ALL WITH THE MOUSE!

Now does that satisfy, or what? :-)

PS: Our kitten used to play on the piano keyboard, but never the computer keyboard. She just jumps up on my lap, even if I'm typing (ie jumps onto my arms)

Reply #24
Lucky you. The most careless of our cats, called Tia Maria, would sooner jump on my laptop than on my lap.

Reply #25
Our own cats have always been fairly well behaved around computers, but last summer we were taking care of my son's cat Frieda.  She was huge, 15 or 20 pounds, with long hair.  For some reason she bonded with me, and if I was mousing with my arm on the desk runoff, she would flop down over my arm, making mousing difficult and making it almost impossible to use the keyboard.  She also had a habit of lying on the keyboard.  Emailing and music notation becomes a little difficult under those circumstances.

Her shedding hair was the reason I got an optical mouse...

Hopefully she'll come back one day, but my son won't part with her...

Reply #26
Our oldest cat, Ember, sometimes jumps on my lap when I´m behind the computer. She then butts my underarms when I am typing. It can get very difficult.

Reply #27
I couldn't confirm the doubleclick note entry thing because I've moved the button assignments around.  However, when I press my wheel, it has what used to be the right click functionality.  Just pressing it gives the choice of note, rest, etc.  Seems like a lot of trouble though, when keyboarding is so much easier and less prone to error.

Reply #28
I love cats. - Tastes just like Chicken!
(Sorry cat lovers. Just couldn't resist).