Skip to main content
Topic: "Bank Select" in "Intrument properties" is wrong (Read 11957 times) previous topic - next topic

"Bank Select" in "Intrument properties" is wrong

In the "Instrument" tab, the "Controller 0:" and "32:" are reversed. "Controller 0:" is supposed to be "32:", and "32:" is supposed to be "Controller 0:".

Re: "Bank Select" in "Intrument properties" is wrong

Reply #2
Decimal Definition
00........Bank Select MSB
01........Modulation wheel or lever
02........Breath Controller

04........Foot Controller
05........Portamento Time
06........Data Entry MSB
07........Main Volume (MIDI Volume)
08........Balance

10........Pan
11........Expression controller
12........Control 1 (type of effect)
13........Control 2 (type of effect)

16-19....General Purpose Controllers 1-4

32........Bank Select LSB
33-63....LSB for Controllers 1-31

64........Hold 1 - Damper pedal (sustain) (on/off)
65........Portamento (on/off)
66........Sostenuto (on/off)
67........Soft pedal (on/off)
68........Legato Footswitch (on/off)
69........Hold 2 (on/off)

70........Sound Controller # 1 (Sound Variation)
71........Sound Controller # 2 (Harmonic Content)
72........Sound Controller # 3 (Release Time)
73........Sound Controller # 4 (Attack Time)
74........Sound Controller # 5 (Brightness)
75........Sound Controller # 6 (Decay Time)
76........Sound Controller # 7 (Vibrato Depth)
77........Sound Controller # 8 (Rate Depth)
78........Sound Controller # 9 (Delay Depth)
79........Sound Controller # 10 (currently undefined)

80-83....General Purpose Controllers 5-8 (on/off)
84........Portamento Control

91........Effect 1 (Reverb Depth)
92........Effect 2 (Tremolo Depth)
93........Effect 3 (Chorus Depth)
94........Effect 4 (Celeste Depth/Delay Variation)
95........Effect 5 (Phaser Depth)

96........Data increment [+1]
97........Data decrement [-1]

98........Non registered Parameter Number LSB
99........Non registered Parameter Number MSB
100.......Registered Parameter Number LSB
101.......Registered Parameter Number MSB

120........All Sounds Off
121........Reset All Controllers
122........Local Controller On/Off
123........All Notes Off

124,125..Omni Mode (Off/On)
126,127..Poly Mode (Off/On)
128........Channel Mode messages

# Some things to note about the controller list:
Controllers 33-63 are marked as "LSB for Values 1-31". This was intended for situations when 128 different values for one controller wasn't enough (it almost always is). Then you could string two Control Change messages together to get finer precision. This is hardly ever used.
# Controller Switches most often work so that 0 is "off" and 127 is "on". In the early days there was some confusion with this, but the current standard is 0-63 for 'off' and 64-127 for 'on'. Please note that there is actually nothing that prevents anyone from using a switch as a continuous controller. Technically they are identical.
# As you can see there are "only" 128 different Controllers, and as more and more are being defined for certain purposes, the numbers are running out. Several attempts have been made to remedy this situation. The Sound Controllers (70 to 79) are one and the RPNs and NRPNs are another: Controllers to 101 are reserved for a rather awkward attempt to extend the controller list into two categories. The Non-Registered Parameter numbers are hardly implemented in any MIDI Devices, which is a shame because they would have been a great way of controlling any parameter in any device via MIDI.

Reply #3
I wondered about your name, 'Midi Man'. No more.
I do not have a hat, or I would take it off right now.

Reply #4
Awww shucks :) Thanks!!!

Just providing a flashlight for those lost in the dark.

Besides ... it bothers me when people point out things that are "wrong" when they really didn't take the time to do their homework and find out the truth.

I would have rather seen user111 "ask" if the bank select information was correct, rather than just blatantly stating that it is wrong. I have no ties to NWC, but have to grown to admire it.

Reply #5
I used a sequencer called Winjammer, and it did the opposite of what NWC is doing.

Reply #6
Maybe. But Midi Man has a good point. Take care when calling something 'wrong' - it might just be a matter of perception.
Winjammer - a nice wordplay I suppose, Win-jammer / Windjammer?

Reply #7
NWC specifically allows you to enter the Controller 0 and Controller 32 values. It uses these exact controller values in its MIDI communication to the synthesizer. There really is not any room for program error using this approach.

Long ago, NWC actually had a simpler bank selection approach, allowing a single bank select value to be entered (which was translated by NWC into the MSB and LSB controller values). Unfortunately, many MIDI devices were non-conforming to the MIDI specification, and did not respond appropriately. So, NWC was changed such that both controller values must be entered by the user.

Consult your synthesizer manual for details on how it specifically responds to the two bank select controllers. "Trial and error" can also be a useful way to discover how a particular synth responds to these controllers.