Skip to main content
Topic: Slashed Grace Note Display (Read 7737 times) previous topic - next topic

Slashed Grace Note Display

Now I know there are a few references to "slashed grace notes" (also called "crunched" by the official noteworthy info page on ornaments) already in the forum, but I couldn't find anywhere where anyone actually addressed the topic of DISPLAYING them on the page.  Is there any way to do that?

Bruce

Re: Slashed Grace Note Display

Reply #1
nope. slashed note's aren't supported by nwc(or any MIDI program)

Reply #2
But is there a way to fake them so they look good when printing?  An extra font possibly?

Reply #3
Just set one of your user fonts to something small, such as Arial or Times New Roman, size 6 or so.  Use the forward slash / in that font, insert it in front of the grace note, set it to be centred and at the next note.  It will intersect the grace note stem quite acceptably.

Reply #4
...slashed note's...?

Reply #5
a slashed note it a grace note thet has a slash going through the head, it is meant to be played as quickly as possible

Reply #6
For Christian ... through the stem not the head

For C'mon  ... look up acciaccatura on Google.

Reply #7
...slashed note's...?
My point was that it should read ...slashed notes...
Apostrophes are not used with plurals.

Reply #8
Acciaccatura?  The spell checker doesn't like that word.
I thought you had flubbed it, but my Harvard Dictionary agrees with you.
I've been saying "accacciatura" all these years...

Reply #9
except adding a / in a text item, there is no standard way to do it within NWC1.75.
I may think to add it in boxmark2, but it doesn't seem a good idea.

P.S. What difference between acciaccatura and appoggiatura (appogiature in French)? (Cf. this Bach Notation page). To me it seems the same, and accicacatura would then be only a more modern notation, with the same meaning.

Reply #10
C'mon, if you're not commenting on, or asking about, music, please make it clear.  As it is, you wasted my time looking checking Google to see if it would produce the information you appeared to be needing.  Thank you so very much.

Marsu, there's no "standard" way to cross the stem in NWC 1, but it works quite satisfactorily to use even Times New Roman, italic, size 6.  Use a text that is a space followed by the slash, and place it "at next note."  Experiment with centered or left justified.  The angle isn't perfect, but it's clear to the reader, so that's ok.

The difference between appoggiatura and acciaccatura?  The former is written the way NWC writes grace notes, and is played the same way - in other words, it steals time from the note that follows it.  The acciaccatura is a crushed note - it is signified by the slash across the stem, just like the icon on the NWC toolbar.  It is to be played very quickly, before the note that follows it is due to be played.  Both are decorations.  So if a quarter note on beat 3 is decorated by two sixteenth-note acciaccaturas, those will be played before beat 3 occurs.  If the decoration is instead two sixteenth-note appoggiaturas, the first will be played right on beat 3.

It's probably been 3 or 4 years since I requested the acciaccatura in the Wish List.  Maybe one day...

Reply #11
Marsu, I apologize, I should have read the page you linked to first.  I agree, modern notation is different.  I think that page refers to interpreting music as written by Bach's generation, and perhaps only for keyboard-specific notation.  There are different conventional ways of writing for different instruments - a glissando, for instance, is not the same for piano and clarinet - think of the opening of Rhapsody in Blue - a piano can't do that.

Fascinating page, by the way.

Reply #12
Two things - I think the "Passing appoggiatura" on the Bach page is the same as an acciaccatura - it appears to be a specific interpretation (of the times?  of Bach?  of the web-page author?)

My understanding of the differences between appoggiaturas and acciaccaturas is almost the same as David's but with one difference.

A single written appoggiatura steals time form the following note.  A single acciaccatura steals time from the preceding note.  But when we see two or more beamed, uncrossed grace notes written, they are not appogiaturas, but acciaccaturas!  There is no "official" way to write two or more appoggiaturas.  Probably because they should be written as a different ornament, or ar no longer ornaments, and should be written with their true durations as normal notes.

Try googoling for "double acciaccatura".  There is a German site that has vanished, but is still cached.

Reply #13
David Palmquist, you are so very welcome.
It was you who wasted your own time, not I.
Maybe if Christian hadn't thrown that apostrophe in there in the first place...