Skip to main content
Topic: Transpose Treble to Bass Clef? (Read 9535 times) previous topic - next topic

Transpose Treble to Bass Clef?

I just downloaded NoteWorthy Composer to play sound files that I have saved on my computer.  I know abut the transposing tool but my question is how many semitones do I need to go done in order to
1) transpose to a tenor trombone
2) tuba

I don't know what type of instrument I have, they were just the basics that I was told to use when I started playing back in middle school.  I assume they are the most common ones.  I know for sure that my tuba is not a C tuba.  (Is it a Bb tuba and trombone that is the most common?)  In addition, I don't know what instrument these files came from (but there midi so yeah).  All the files have been put in treble clef when I use NoteWorthy and that's my main problem.  Maybe I should learn to read treble clef ... That's about it, LOL.  Sorry if it seems pathetic, I'm new at this.

Thanks for any help,
Brian

Re: Transpose Treble to Bass Clef?

Reply #1
It's not too clear what it is you're asking, Brian.  If you just want to rewrite treble clef notes as bass clef, it's not hard.  Change the clef, then highlight all the notes in the bar and press {control}{shift}{up-arrow} 12 times.

If you want to transpose a part written for baritone t.c. (baritone treble clef), you have change the key.  A baritone t.c. part sounds a whole tone lower than what is written.  When the baritone is written in bass clef, though, I think the notes are in concert pitch (not transposed).

So to write a baritone t.c. part for baritone b.c., first transpose it up 2 semitones (use the tools/transpose menu, which will change both the notes and the key signature), then change the clef, then highlight all the notes in the bar and press {control}{shift}{up-arrow} 12 times.

Reply #2
Brian,

Trombone in treble clef is scored 14 semitones higher than it actually sounds.  Tubas come in Eb and Bb, and of course  I don't know what yours is.  Bb Tubas are scored 26 semitones higher than they sound, Eb Tubas 21 semitones.

Reply #3
There are also tubas in F and CC.

Reply #4
Brian:  If you are used to playing either tuba or trombone is bass clef, you will almost certainly be playing the instruments as if they were concert pitch (i.e. "C") instruments.  Check a different piece of music on a piano, or by asking a bassoon/cello/bass player to play a couple of notes with you.  It should sound the same.

As for your treble clef music: You need to work out what transposition is starts in.  Again, get a bassoon/cello/piano part and play a few notes from your part and from theirs.  Try the last few bars(measures) of the piece, as they're likely to be very similar.  If the notes sound the same (maybe different octaves), the part starts in "C".  If you can, compare against bass clarinet/baritone/tenor sax.  If this is the same, you're starting in "Bb".  If necessary, compare against bari sax.  If this is the same, you're starting in "Eb".  Altertatively, if the dots in your treble clef part are in exactly the same spaces in the bassoon/cello part, you are also in "Eb".

You now have a two-part process to convert.  First transpose from Bb or Eb to C (you don't do this step if you're already in C).  There are lots of other threads with the details, and it should be in help.  The semitones are - Bb: 2 or 14; Eb: 9 or 21.  If you get the wrong one of each pair, don't worry - it will just be a complete octave out, and that's a simple fix later.

Then you need to change clef.  David gave the method for this.  Simply change the clef, select all your notes, then {control}{shift}{up-arrow} 12 times.  You might find that 5 times (rather than 12) works better sometimes.  Check that you're in the right octave.  If not, select all your notes and move up or down seven times.  You might need to do this again.

At the end, test your work by comparing your part against bassoon/cello/bass/piano.  It should sound the same.

Reply #5
I've played both Tuba ond Trombone in Eb and the trick to play bass clef is to change the key.

If your notes are written in concerto pitch with a bass clef you simply add three (for Eb instruments) # and play as if treble clef.

eg. if you have Bb major which is two b, add three sharps and end up playing as G major with  one #

So you should not transpose your notes for these instrument, just re-write them in bass clef.
All my Tuba notes are in concerto pitch

Reply #6
On second thoughts, why doesn't NWC have this function, AFAIK it never have had it.

It would be a real easy modification.
When in Clef properties, a simple checkbox "Update staff notation" just like in Transpose staff.

Everytime I change clef, I try to remeber just how many steps to transpose between these perticular two clefs.

This has always been a thorn in my side that NWC could not do this for me.

Reply #7
Anders, it's a good suggestion, you should post it to the wishlist.

Reply #8
I'll do that, should have done it years ago but my thumb is firmly seated :)